Dementia patient in hospital not eating/drinking

Roy22

Jan 10, 2024
Thirty years ago I followed my mother through the world of hospitals & residential/nursing care as she succumbed to early onset Alzheimer's in her 50s. Now my mother-in-law has been diagnosed with dementia in her 80s, so I'm back here again, with some questions but also some past experience of this difficult world.

In the last 6 months this otherwise quite active lady has suffered physical & mental decline, showing a growth in confusion. Following some recent spells in hospital for physical ailments, doctors & social services picked up on her decline in mental capacity and risk at home alone (she is now widowed). Brain CT scans suggest vascular dementia. The biggest problem is that for several weeks she has barely eaten or drunk anything. Complaining of nausea at just the sight of food, and barely sipping her drinks, I'm quietly astonished she has survived with so little sustenance. She was (very unwillingly) readmitted to hospital a week ago with very low Potassium levels, I have to say I think this is just caused by malnutrition/starvation. Potassium levels were restored with a drip in hospital, but dropped again with it removed as they planned to discharge her soon, despite losing even more weight whilst in hospital.

This particular hospital didn't impress us when we visited (we live far away). I've seen a lot of care environments over the 7 years my mother declined with Alzheimer's, but this place was just serving the usual very unappetizing food hospitals tend to offer, and after a few words of encouragement only, would later remove it uneaten. One of the nurses in this 'discharge ward' told me that she'd only drunk 140ml of fluid in the last day. And yet they planned to send her home the next day. This didn't happen as with the drip removed, her potassium levels unsurprisingly collapsed again.

My guess is that the hospital want rid of someone who could otherwise block a bed for ages, being kept alive with IV fluids & nutrients. Her GP is truly awful and will only visit when threatened by us. He says it's the hospitals duty to monitor her once discharged. The hospital says it's the GP's responsibility. The coordination between these and home care agencies (initiated by the hospital when first released before Xmas) and related others, such as the 'virtual ward' nurses who phone us despite living far away to ask how she's doing, is chaotic to say the least.

Can anyone shed any light on where responsibilities lie here? We were privately advised to make a Safeguarding complaint if necessary to get some attention. I am aware of unspoken hospital policies like 'Sending Home to Die' and I am quietly wondering if the hospital simply want a non eating/drinking dementia patient off their hands, whilst the GP etc don't want involvement with a demanding patient likely to deteriorate.

We have a signed consent from her to talk to the GP about her health, but not yet Power of Attorney for Health/Finances. Any advice or experiences on how to handle this distressing situation would be gratefully received.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Roy22

I think it would be good idea to have a very open discussion with her consultant at the hospital.
This sounds very much like my mum when she reached end of life
When someone with dementia dies, what happens is that their body slowly closes down, and they stop eating and drinking as part of this process as the body can no longer digest/absorb food and fluid.

This may not be what is happening here, of course, but I think you need to find out. It may be that the hospital staff have not considered the possibility that she may be at end of life. If she has reached end of life then there is medication that can be given to keep them pain free and comfortable and District Nurses to administer it as well as carers and possibly equipment to organise. I dont know who would be responsible for this, though.

Roy22

Jan 10, 2024
Hello @Roy22

I think it would be good idea to have a very open discussion with her consultant at the hospital.
This sounds very much like my mum when she reached end of life
When someone with dementia dies, what happens is that their body slowly closes down, and they stop eating and drinking as part of this process as the body can no longer digest/absorb food and fluid.

This may not be what is happening here, of course, but I think you need to find out. It may be that the hospital staff have not considered the possibility that she may be at end of life. If she has reached end of life then there is medication that can be given to keep them pain free and comfortable and District Nurses to administer it as well as carers and possibly equipment to organise. I dont know who would be responsible for this, though.
Hi @canary - thanks for your helpful reply. Initially we thought the loss of appetite might have had other medical causes, but that hope is gone really. When I asked a junior nurse on Saturday why she wasn't hungry/thirsty (even in a 26C room) she referred to dementia and said that might be why. I don't think she's trying to die, as one friend suggested (i.e. giving up) as she talks about getting better. She's desperate to get home and away from the discomforts of hospital, looking forward to the TV soaps she's missed etc.

Yes it has very much occurred to me & my wife that she is dying, no one has directly said so, I think medical people don't like to broach that directly. My wife has made the phone contact with the hospital and has struggled to find anyone with seniority or general capability to have such a chat with. Apart from a well spoken doctor who first called us to say home care would be arranged after her discharge, referring to her mental confusion, we've otherwise faced seemingly lower level staff with broken English and unreturned phone calls. So no deep & serious chats possible there.

When my mother was nearing the end of her 7 year ordeal, that excellent GP did have such a discussion with me, as Mum was then struggling to swallow, about just how much invasive attempts should be made to extend her life, such as peg feeding etc, and how she as a doctor should respond to life threatening conditions like pneumonia. We both agreed that we were keeping alive a body and little else, her having lost almost all personal pleasure in her limited world, that extending this would be almost for sentimental reasons, and in the GP's words, 'It would be an act of cruelty to extend her and her family's suffering even further'. So I am on the same page as you if you are saying this may basically be the end of her life.

You have crystallized my thoughts that we need to find someone at the hospital who can answer these questions and frankly say if this is really a palliative end of life care situation at home. Thank you.