Dementia care homes in Bolton

Humptydumpty

Jan 10, 2013
Hi. Is there anyone out there who has knowledge of good alzheimers care homes in BOlton. My husband is in the latter stages of this horrendous disease and is now getting really hard to cope. He on anti psychotic drugs now but they don't seem to be doing a great lot.. they increase his dosage but this makes him like a zombie he struggles to put one foot in front of the other, can't put a sentence together and cannot take in what you say to him and yet at some points in the day he still becomes so angry and frustrated kicking furniture slamming doors and throwing things about. He can be very verbally abusive to me and I have to admit I worry how long it will be before he 's physically violent to me. My social worker has suggested this is probably the right time to begin looking at nursing homes and I am terrified. I m so worried that by the time hus pensions gave been taken towards the cost if this care I will struggle financially to keep our house going. I have been told that the majority of homes want a top up charge on top if the local authority fee and this frightens me to death that if I can't afford this will he end up in a second rate home. Does anyone know of any good caring homes in Bolton that don't have massive top up fees. It's a huge wrench to even think about care homes without having to torture yourself worrying about costs. I did see in an earlier post a comment from Tina T who seems to have info but because I ve not posted enough on here I can't private message her

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello HumptyDumpty

It really isn`t advisable for people to recommend care homes simply because everyone has different needs and changes of staff and management can affect the running of homes. Those who have recommended them can be held to account.

However I do appreciate your problems because I had the same when I was looking for a care home. It can be very stressful visiting different homes and relying on our own observations and gut feelings during a very short visit.

TinaT is very experienced and offered a lot of support. Now she no longer has a caring role I suspect she only visits TP occasionally, just to catch up with old friends.

There is a factsheet here which may help;

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/download/downloads/id/1787/factsheet_selecting_a_care_home.pdf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebbyB