Dementia and osteoporosis

Charliepicken

Nov 9, 2014
My wife, age 82, has had dementia for a dozen years and osteoporosis for as long. Years back she was prescribed alendronic acid and calcium for the latter. I gave up on the alendronic acid as there were strict rules - stand up, swallow glass of water, empty stomach, no food for half an hour, etc., which she simply could not follow. I ought to have told the doctor and obtained an alternative but I failed and did not, which I bitterly regret as her current physical pain could possibly have been avoided. Recently she cannot bear to be touched and I discovered on the internet only this morning that this is the osteoporosis. A week ago she fell in the house, broke her pubic bone and could not weight bear. Now in hospital, which is what I have dreaded for her; her treatment varies with the quality of the staff on duty; chief trouble is of course that she cannot communicate in either directon. It is heart breaking. I had hoped that she would die at home but now I'd be lucky if she recovered enough to enter a proper care home.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You are having such an awful experience and honestly beating yourself up about the osteoporosis medication isn’t going to help anybody.

I have osteoporosis and I know some of the earlier medications I was on had horrible side effects but now there are some really good treatments around which were not available years ago. I now have a six monthly injection which has given me a good response but once you are on it, you cannot go off it. Ever!

It must have been very hard to try and go through that medication regime with someone who has dementia.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My mum has dementia and is on Alendronic acid. I have had similar issues with the rigmorole over how you take the drug. We took it sporadically at the most. I looked into the injection @Lawson58 mentioned but having it forever put me off that option. I am on a forum for mums physical health and many choose not to take AA even without dementia as it is so difficult.

You did The best you could whilst managing several complex health conditions. It’s not easy, in fact nigh on impossible.

Are you going to be self funding? Why not go look round some local care homes - you may be surprised and find one you feel comfortable for her to be in where others can take the stress and you can enjoy being with her again.