Delirium after Hospital

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Hi
My dad was admitted to hospital two weeks ago for yet another UTI
He always gets hospital induced delirium really badly , since he’s come home on Monday he still seems delirious and agitated can’t settle he’s asking us to move things that aren’t there etc He was also up at 1am this morning very agitated
Just wondering if this is adjusting back to his home from hospital and if it is a known “thing”
and if there is any suggestions as to what we can do to try and settle him
Many Thanks

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Delirium can take a while to go: weeks or even months. Sometimes, people have to be put on anti-psychotics because they continue to have symptoms You say that your father had hospital-induced delirium but infection alone is a common cause of delirium and even if he hadn't gone into hospital he might well have developed delirium anyway.

It's probably a question of time more than anything else. I have seen a hospital information leaflet about delirium and you might want to see if you can find one online and follow the suggestions in it. I would guess that routine, not too much stimulation and, if possible, enough sleep will all help.

It's possible that the UTI has not cleared completely or has returned. Sometimes, a longer or different course of antibiotics is needed. The dipstick tests done in doctors' surgeries are not very accurate and samples need to be sent off for analysis.

If your father doesn't improve in a couple of weeks I would contact the GP.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Thank You for your reply I will look for that leaflet
I did also wonder if the UTI had returned it’s
Delirium can take a while to go: weeks or even months. Sometimes, people have to be put on anti-psychotics because they continue to have symptoms You say that your father had hospital-induced delirium but infection alone is a common cause of delirium and even if he hadn't gone into hospital he might well have developed delirium anyway.

It's probably a question of time more than anything else. I have seen a hospital information leaflet about delirium and you might want to see if you can find one online and follow the suggestions in it. I would guess that routine, not too much stimulation and, if possible, enough sleep will all help.

It's possible that the UTI has not cleared completely or has returned. Sometimes, a longer or different course of antibiotics is needed. The dipstick tests done in doctors' surgeries are not very accurate and samples need to be sent off for analysis.

If your father doesn't improve in a couple of weeks I would contact the GP.
Thank You for your reply I will look for that leaflet
I did also wonder if the UTI had come back
Everything is so hard !