Dealing with diagnosis

Riley08

Jan 19, 2024
Hi

New to the forum. Yesterday my mum received a diagnosis for dementia 😔 Even though I knew it was coming it’s hit me hard. I feel a whole range of different emotions and fairly overwhelmed as she is worse (moderate to severe) than I thought. Just trying to get to grips with what comes next in terms of the steps I have been advised to take.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Riley08.

I’m sorry to read of your mum’s diagnosis. Your head must be reeling. I know you’ve probably been given lots of advice but thought you might also find this link useful -

I’m glad you’ve find the forum. Come here to ask anything, share how you feel - and if necessary just have a rant. There will always be someone here to listen.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Riley08 and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read of your Mum's very recent diagnosis. You will be in shock even if you were half expecting it.
Please don't think that everything you read about on here will necessarily happen to your Mum; everyone's path is different.
You have come to the right place as you will find total support and understanding here

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Hello

I think we all in the same boat thinking that if we knew everything that was going to happen in advance we could somehow prepare ourselves and that it wouldn’t be so awful

I have come to see this as an illusion. Take each day as it comes. A useful question each day is is mum safe? If the answer is yes keep going, if not make changes Big girl (boy) pants on

Thinking of you