Day centre fees for my mum with Alzheimer’s

Judy&rob

Dec 20, 2023
Please can anyone help? My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.The social worker , day centre ladies and memory clinic dr said because mum doesn’t have £23000 in savings she will only have to pay for her £5 lunch at the day centre. Mum has £3000 in savings and gets £166 a week state pension and £111 a week pension credit. She also gets £407 a month attendance allowance. I had a call from central Bedfordshire council saying we were told incorrect information and they’ve dumped a bill on my mum of £1200! I’m absolutely disgusted. Especially when we were told she would only have to pay for food. I sent off a care assessment in October but the social worker told me not to worry because I wouldn’t have to pay but still need to send in the form. Please can someone advise me. I can’t get hold of the social worker. Intact we’ve never even met her!Tia

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The top cash limit vary depending on which country of the UK you're in. I take it from the £32k you're in England, we don't need your address and postcode, it's different rules between all 4 countries of the UK just which legal system covers the person who you're posting about.
K

Judy&rob

Dec 20, 2023
The top cash limit vary depending on which country of the UK you're in. I take it from the £32k you're in England, we don't need your address and postcode, it's different rules between all 4 countries of the UK just which legal system covers the person who you're posting about.
K
We are in Bedfordshire. Obviously don’t mind paying anything for mum but being told we don’t have to pay then three months later get £1000 bill is so worrying. Mum has no savings. Just state pension, pension credit and now attendance allowance.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Has your mum had a financial assessment by Social Services?
I would not have thought that she would have had to pay.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I would challenge it, I was told if you had less than 23,950 that you didn’t have to contribute.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If I've done this right there should be a link to the Alzheimer's Society England fact site, if not one of the moderators on here will bail me out again.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Day centre costs are not harmonised like residential care.
My wife's day care was
attendance - everybody free subject to needs assessment
midday meal - everybody pay
transport if required - means tested

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If I've done this right there should be a link to the Alzheimer's Society England fact site, if not one of the moderators on here will bail me out again.
K

Is this what you’re thinking of?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Day centre costs are not harmonised like residential care.
My wife's day care was
attendance - everybody free subject to needs assessment
midday meal - everybody pay
transport if required - means tested
Yes, if it's any help, as @nitram has said, it was exactly the same for my Mum at the time she attended a day centre.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we had a financial assessment a while ago and my husband gets his pension, pension credit and attendance allowance and we still would have to contribute. if no-one is claiming care allowance, i would check that your mum should get the disability payment on pension credit. we didnt know anything about it until they told us we were entitled to it. thats because we dont claim carers allowance.

Judy&rob

Dec 20, 2023
Has your mum had a financial assessment by Social Services?
I would not have thought that she would have had to pay.
I sent it off in October when she first went to the day centre. But never heard anything back. The day centre and social worker and memory clinic dr told me not to worry because she won’t be paying anything anyway. But I sent the form off and central Bedfordshire called me today asking me for the money. I was so shocked. I told them what the social worker had told me and he said he’s fed up with social workers telling people this because it’s not true. He said it doesn’t just go on savings it goes on mum brings in. Which is just £166 a week pension and £111 pension credit and she now gets AA £407 a month

Judy&rob

Dec 20, 2023
They are also saying that because mum lives with me she has no outgoings. This is not true. I have to pay more on bills with mum here. I don’t have to pay rent because my husband is disabled and I’m his full time carer but mum still pays a third. But it comes out of my bank and mum just gives me money now and then it takes me out to tge cafe etc to make up for it. We don’t mind having to pay towards mum but it’s being given the wrong information and now I’m stuck with a bill. Mum has £3000 in savings which is going towards her funeral. But I have to take £1000 out of that which brings her funeral money right down for when the time comes. I’m scared how I’m going to pay that bill and mums funeral costs. I hate this. It’s so worrying. My poor mum. I feel so sorry for her. She needs this day centre. She will go down hill without it.
we had a financial assessment a while ago and my husband gets his pension, pension credit and attendance allowance and we still would have to contribute. if no-one is claiming care allowance, i would check that your mum should get the disability payment on pension credit. we didnt know anything about it until they told us we were entitled to it. thats because we dont claim carers allowance.

Judy&rob

Dec 20, 2023
They are also saying that because mum lives with me she has no outgoings. This is not true. I have to pay more on bills with mum here. I don’t have to pay rent because my husband is disabled and I’m his full time carer but mum still pays a third. But it comes out of my bank and mum just gives me money now and then it takes me out to tge cafe etc to make up for it. We don’t mind having to pay towards mum but it’s being given the wrong information and now I’m stuck with a bill. Mum has £3000 in savings which is going towards her funeral. But I have to take £1000 out of that which brings her funeral money right down for when the time comes. I’m scared how I’m going to pay that bill and mums funeral costs. I hate this. It’s so worrying. My poor mum. I feel so sorry for her. She needs this day centre. She will go down hill without it.
Thank you so much. I didn’t know there was a disability on pension credit. I can’t claim carers allowance for my mum because I claim it gif my disabled husband xx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we were told £57 for a day centre day.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
166 +111+ (407/4)
=C£380pw

that a fair income

Do you pay for carers?

How often does she go to the day centre?