dave

hopefu1

Feb 10, 2024
Hello I'm Dave, from Philadelphia, PA, USA. Just diagnosed with MCI, Mild Cognitive Impairment. Very scared about this. BOTH of my parents died of Alzheimers, actually dad at 97 isn't dead yet, but he's totally out of it.

I just had an MRI. I'm scheduled for an Neurologist for early next month. Looking for a specific "yes or no" that my MCI is or is NOT related to Alzheimers. As I understand it, I'll need a PET scan or spinal fluids analysis to be able to get provable results about whether I have Alzheimers or not.....

correct???

thanks

dave

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Hi Dave & welcome 😊
You’ll find lots of support & a huge amount of knowledge & experiences here.
I too have/had 2 parents with dementia, mam died 4 years ago, dad is 91 & I live with him. I can understand your fears.

Regarding testing, I’m afraid both parents only had an MRI, I’ve never heard of spinal fluid testing here, but I know others will come along with different experiences.
Please, feel free to ask anything & as hard as it is, try not to get too despondent, everyone‘s experience of dementia is different. Mam lived with it for 12/13 years and was still talking, singing, dancing & knew family, her death was unrelated.

Remember, there is also a member’s only area called ‘Dealing With Difficult Feelings. I’ve posted there a number of times, sometimes just typing it out helps.
Best of luck
x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teritaz333