Dad now I'm nursing home - update

BabyBoomer

Oct 13, 2014
Well Dad has now been in his new nursing home for just over a week. He was nervous and it was all strange - he moved from assisted living flat where he was dehydrated - to hospital and then respite because I refused to let him go back to where there was a catalogue of care failures. We've been through all the assessements and it was determined that he was able to claim nursing funding but not CHC as his physical needs outweighed his Alzheimers needs. He doesn't need EMI and trying to find somewhere was a nightmare. We had to look over county borders and that started another round of paperwork and assessements! After rigorous searching and winnowing by myself and Dads social worker - she was brilliant- we found somewhere. ( if you're looking turn up unannounced, I've arrived at dinner time and nobody declined to show me around) I've seen some I wouldn't put my dog up in and some id have to win the lottery to go. But thankfully we found somewhere I am happy to have Dad in and more to the point he's happy. He has slept the night for the first time in months and is walking with a frame not wheelchair. He's still very frail but content and being well looked after.
We rely on local authority funding which limits us further but my advice is keep looking, until you're happy. Use your social worker and respite care if necessary. Age UK were also very helpful. I feel as though I can sleep myself now. Godspeed to anybody just starting their journey.xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well done for looking so hard for your Dad. What a weight off your mind. And well done to the SW. I hope your Dad continues to be settled.

Thank you for the update

Take care

Lyn T