Dad is Care-home for three weeks respite - could be permanent

Devonshire

Aug 6, 2016
Dad is 96 and I am 70 - he has been living on his own for the last 8 years. In that time he has slowly deteriorated until he has great trouble walking, is incontinent and has early stage dementia. I have been his carer the last 8 years, although I was just preparing meals, washing and shopping etc. to start, but during the last three years we have had local carers to help me. But gradually he has become more frail and beginning to have falls in his house to the point where the carers and his doctor say that he really should not be on his own. He has had a couple of visits to hospital (the first in his life) just recently with UTI's. He has no other ailments or conditions and takes no medication only the anti-biotics for the water infections - which have not really cleared it up.
He is now in respite at a local care home that he used to go for day-care. I visit virtually everyday. It has upset me to see him there and of course I am judging the care he is given. He keeps saying he doesn't want to stay there and how long before he can go home. I tell him that he has to try and get a little stronger and to be able to walk.
I visited yesterday around their tea-time, Dad would not eat anything, I took in fresh home made pie and scones but he would not eat that either, He was also wet which he was never at home and they say they won't use the over-protect wear because of sores etc. So he has his normal boxer shorts and a pad, even his cushion was soiled. He had fallen out of bed in the morning and on top of all this they have lost his hearing-aid that was replaced the last time he was in respite at another home.So I came home very upset and angry, I did inform the manager and she said they will arrange an appointment at the local audiology department. He his in the dementia unit and I just feel so guilty - apparently Dad had not eaten anything the day before yesterday. I don't know what to do. I feel I want to shout at the staff that they are not caring for Dad. My husband says I must try not to get so involved now he is there and that I can't go back to doing all the work that I have been doing. I am shaking and getting upset while I am writing this. I would be grateful for some advice.Thanks

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Devonshire and welcome to Talking Point.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the care being received by your Dad.

They cannot force anyone to eat and that is as it should be and as you said yourself he even refused your home made goodies. Hopefully they are offering him something in between the set meals, there are many things snack wise they can try to tempt him with. If he is not eating well they can try him with fortified drinks.

As for the pads, well they can do something there. There are net type pants that will keep the pad in place and his boxers can then be put on. The net will not cause sores, being left wet or soiled will. A pad that is moving around cannot do the job it is meant to do.

Keep talking to the management, they will then know you are on the case.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Devonshire
and welcome to TP; you can certainly get things off your chest here
it's so tough as a carer and daughter to begin to step back from the day to day 'chores' of caring and allow others to take those on (dad moved into his care home just over a year ago) - your husband does have a point; you are his advocate and his daughter but you can't tear yourself apart - no-one else can provide the loving care you give him; however you need to look after yourself too, to be able to supervise his care - it's early days and you will all gradually settle into a routine
having said that, you also need to be content that the level of care is good, and you're not at the moment
so I think jaymor is right, keep talking to the staff - more chatting than anything - to find out the daily routines and how your dad has been - it may be that he will eat more as he settles, it may be that what he is offered needs to be reviewed, maybe a staff member could sit with him while he eats; ask them what they do for him - same with the all the other issues you describe
always mention anything you are unhappy or unsure about - the staff are getting to know your dad and his needs and are getting to know you and your view of his care
you coped well with his questions about going home - never easy to hear (but I remind myself that dad wanted to go home even when he was in his own home)
you have done fantastically well for your dad over so many years - you will continue to oversee his care - please give yourself a break and not beat yourself up
very best wishes

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane