CT Scan

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Hi there

I managed to get my mum to see a doctor who did refer her for a CT scan.
She's had the scan and told me it was clear. Which is great obviously.

However, she is still forgetful and confused.
Her latest is that she wants to move house to be with us in Scotland. This is lovely and we're looking for a house for her.
The thing is she's going about it in to me an odd way!
She doesn't want to come and look at any houses but leaving it to me and also last night she thought the amount of a particular house was pounds not thousands of pounds!
She's also talking to people as though she's got a house already and won't see them again.

I'm just so confused 😕 I don't understand why she is so confused and forgetful yet the CT scan was clear without a GP follow up. Something isn't making sense to me🤔
Thank you so much for any feedback you can give I really appreciate it🙂

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would get back to the doctor @Daughters concerns There`s obviously more than has shown on the scan. It does happen. It sounds as if your mum is very confused.

If you have a LPA, your mum`s doctor will speak to you. If not, even if they don`t share an opinion they will listen to you.

There is no need to tell your mum what you are doing. It will only confuse her further and you are only acting in her best interests.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sometimes a CT scan doesnt show the changes, especially in the early stages, and it needs an MRI scan. I recommend you go back to your GP too. I would also suggest that you keep a diary of all the odd things that your mum is doing, so that you can refer to it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I managed to get my mum to see a doctor who did refer her for a CT scan.
She's had the scan and told me it was clear
I assumed the "she" on here referred to the doctor at the follow up clinic. If you only got this information from your mum then, yes, it might not be accurate - I speak from personal experience of OH who was going to appointments on his own and telling both the doctor and then me, things that were totally untrue.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Daughters concerns.
Rather than finding her a house to buy, maybe book her into an Airbnb or similar for a couple of weeks and see how she gets on. You might find that if you brought her her house near you she would soon need more help than you are maybe able to give.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum got her scan results from the memory clinic Dr. He said the scan only showed normal age related shrinkage (not actually sure that's true) but based on her behaviour he was diagnosing her with mild Alzheimer's and prescribed Aricept/Donizipil.

Unfortunately this is no fix just slows down the deterioration, so ultimately the symptoms just need managing
Her latest is that she wants to move house to be with us in Scotland. This is lovely and we're looking for a house for her.
The thing is she's going about it in to me an odd way!
She doesn't want to come and look at any houses but leaving it to me and also last night she thought the amount of a particular house was pounds not thousands of pounds!
She's also talking to people as though she's got a house already and won't see them again.
This is how it is - no medication can fix it. At this stage you need to decide how you want to manage this, do you want her near her, as it might not be right once she's there. It will be easier for you if you get mum near you but be prepared to have to sort everything out (including a moving co, packing the boxes etc) and buy a property that will be easy to manage by you, which is as suitable as possible as your mum deteriorates for her and also that will be easy to sell.

I think @Sarasa 's suggestion is good as when your mum moves away from the safety blanket of where she is now everything could unravel.

There is no hard and fast rule as to how fast your mum will deteriorate.

Get LPAs in place.

I was firm with my mum and gave her no choices - I had young children and it needed to work for me if I was to support her as I was already pretty stretched, but it does depend on your relationship with your mum and whether she will accept you making decisions, but this does make life easier if you can just tell her this needs doing and move her.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl