Croaky Voice

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Hi. My Mother is in the early stages of dementia. Her carer has noticed that sometimes when she speaks her voice goes and she has to cough and then it goes quieter for a while. She has no problems eating and drinking.

Her GP is seeing her soon. If she is prescribed medication I am worried how she will take it. The carer is only there for an hour in the morning and I can’t get her to take medication and may not always live nearby.

Apparently the condition is common with older people. Do any of you have any experience with it or have any advice. Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Misslovely
Some meds can come in liquid form, and it's worth checking whether any of the meds could be stopped or given covertly eg hidden in yogurt (though I'm not sure home carers are allowed to do this)

Is it possible to increase the number of carer visits

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Hi @Misslovely
Some meds can come in liquid form, and it's worth checking whether any of the meds could be stopped or given covertly eg hidden in yogurt (though I'm not sure home carers are allowed to do this)

Is it possible to increase the number of carer visits
Hi. Thanks for your reply. It’s not possible to increase the amount of carers visits because of costs. The carer gives my parent medication in the mornings. If she has to take it more than once a day it will be a problem. I don’t feel comfortable getting involved with administering medication and I may have to move soon.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they cant do it covertly. in the carehome, we were only allowed to do that once the doctor had assessed the resident, written it and signed it in the persons care notes. i would have thought the doctor would have to take that into consideration as to when the meds could be given and in what form

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Yes, it’s complicated to get medication to be taken covertly.

I think at the moment I am getting a little panicky about my Mother having to take additional medication. It may not be necessary and will depend on what the GP says.