Creative Tips for helping Mum remember me? Late stage Alzheimer's.

KatyLou

Mar 27, 2016
Does anyone have any tips on helping Mum remember me? I think I'm the final person in her life she does mostly recall, but couple of things in the last few days make me feel that time is ending. I am sad, distressed and teary. With prompting she does remember me - when I call. Easier in person. I am thinking of printing out more big pictures of her close family, with names printed on maybe. I can't ring every day, and am not sure that will make any difference. We speak most days. The best advice I have seen here is 'Enjoy this stage' and I carry that with me, and I know this stage has many positives, and many benefits over the next, so it keeps me counting my blessings, but this is a new down and anything I can do creatively will help me cope. Thanks.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Does anyone have any tips on helping Mum remember me? I think I'm the final person in her life she does mostly recall, but couple of things in the last few days make me feel that time is ending. I am sad, distressed and teary. With prompting she does remember me - when I call. Easier in person. I am thinking of printing out more big pictures of her close family, with names printed on maybe. I can't ring every day, and am not sure that will make any difference. We speak most days. The best advice I have seen here is 'Enjoy this stage' and I carry that with me, and I know this stage has many positives, and many benefits over the next, so it keeps me counting my blessings, but this is a new down and anything I can do creatively will help me cope. Thanks.

Hi KatyLou, how about sending her a pretty postcard once or twice a week that carers can read to her and also show her when she talks to you on the phone?

Hope you find something that helps
Best wishes
Sue:)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum knows that she knows me, although she no longer remembers my name, or what our relationship is.
Someone on here advised that when I meet her I say "Hello mum, its your daughter crocus here" to remind her. Its not infallible, but it does seem to jog her memory.

KatyLou

Mar 27, 2016
Hi KatyLou, how about sending her a pretty postcard once or twice a week that carers can read to her and also show her when she talks to you on the phone?

Best wishes

Thank you. That's prompted some food for thought. KL

KatyLou

Mar 27, 2016
Mum knows that she knows me, although she no longer remembers my name, or what our relationship is.
Someone on here advised that when I meet her I say "Hello mum, its your daughter crocus here" to remind her. Its not infallible, but it does seem to jog her memory.

Thank you, that's encouraging. KL

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex

Best wishes

That's such a good idea Sue, I did this for my mum when I went on holiday as I was worried that she would think I had forgotten her! I sent postcards made from the photos we took of ourselves, there is easy to use software to do this, KatyLou. I still do it as I can only get to visit mum once a week. The carers tell me that she loves to get them. I hope it works for your mum.

I am also very sad at the thought that one day mum won't remember me. She remembers my name and her face still lights up when I go and see her, but I'm not sure she always remembers I am her daughter. She has introduced me as her friend and also her sister at times. I hang on to the fact that she knows that I am someone who cares about her and so therefore she has someone that will look out for her. There's a carer who looks a little like me and she sometimes calls her Jennie. I don't mind this at all, hopefully she finds a bit of comfort in thinking I'm close by.