could you tell me how to unsubscribe and delete all my posts

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
I am a little puzzled by the absence of a facility to delete user accounts at their own request. This does raise issues of privacy and Data Protection. I am told by an acquaintance who runs a national (and international) website that most software does permit this, to allow for removal in response to a legal requirement, such as a Court Order. Perhaps it might be worth including such a feature at the next site revision.

Wirralson

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Wirralson

Thanks for your comments.

We do, very rarely, delete members’ accounts upon request - usually because there are exceptional (i.e. legal) reasons for doing so. The reason we don’t do this more often is because deleting any user’s account would also involve removing all the content they had posted to the public forum. As you might imagine, doing this would cause a great deal of disruption to any thread to which that user had posted, and would be likely to render discussions nonsensical.

We take data protection, and the protection of forum users’ privacy in general, very seriously on Talking Point. We ask for a minimal amount of personal information during the registration process, so as to comply with the Data Protection Act, and there is lots of guidance on the forum advising members how to maintain their privacy online (e.g. here and here).

If users wish to cease using Talking Point, we do, as Serena mentioned above, remove their details from our mailing list, to ensure they will no longer receive updates from the forum.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,