Could multiple calls be sundowning?

TraceyD68

Sep 26, 2021
Hi all, I've posted on here before about getting multiple calls from my pad. Just wandering what anyone thinks about whether this could be sundowning? It happens most frequently late afternoon/early evening. Still haven't found any solutions and today I've had a record 23 calls (so far.....). Any thoughts on sundowning? TIA for any thoughts/comments.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think its extremely likely to be sundowning
Not that that helps your situation, though and I dont have any answers apart from turning your phone off at times to give you a break.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
The same thing is happening with my dad. Some days are better than others. I’ve arranged a carer to be with him from around 4.00 until 7.00 and that has helped a lot. We are self funding and lucky enough to have the funds for this at the moment but I know this is not an option for everyone. I put this in place after an evening when I wasn’t available to pick up the phone and he was found wandering down the street by a neighbour. This hasn’t happened since but I now make sure he either has someone with him or I pick up the phone. We have also explored medication (Trazadone) but decided that this might increase his fall risk during the period between the carer leaving and him going to bed and so have decided against for now. He doesn’t sound especially agitated when he rings but he is very confused at this time of day. My cut off point for picking off the phone is nine o’clock - or when it is dark. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t go out after dark so far. I leave a message explaining that I have gone to bed and won’t be available to speak until morning. That seems to do the trick. I hope you can put something in place to make things easier. It is so sad that my dad and also your dad are going through this (as well as many others I’m sure) but the calls can be very difficult and you need to a way to look after yourself within everything else that is going on. Good luck.

Linda54

Apr 25, 2022
Hi all, I've posted on here before about getting multiple calls from my pad. Just wandering what anyone thinks about whether this could be sundowning? It happens most frequently late afternoon/early evening. Still haven't found any solutions and today I've had a record 23 calls (so far.....). Any thoughts on sundowning? TIA for any thoughts/comments.
Hi Tracey yeah my mum has sundowning and she’s constantly on her phone and it’s call after call after call it’s exhausting. Switch your phone for an hour or so give yourself a break. Take care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5