COPForms

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
Hi
I’m having to fill in a COP1c form with regard to applying to become a deputy. Does anyone know why this has to be done if you are already an attorney?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Why have you been asked , have you applied to use your LPA to sell a property or make any other large decision?

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
I’ve been asked to make a retrospective application for a stair lift I installed for mum. Didn’t realise I had to get COP permission

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
I’ve been asked to make a retrospective application for a stair lift I installed for mum. Didn’t realise I had to get COP permission
That’s a bit strange. Are there restrictions in the LPA you have?

I ask because I checked with the OPG about a major decision for my PWD who has lost capacity to manage their financial affairs. I was told I didn’t need OPG authorisation because there are no restrictions in the LPA and the attorneys are able to act jointly or severally. Has your PWD lost capacity?

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They probably want assurance that she needs the lift.
How did they know it was being installed?

Last edited:

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
That’s a bit strange. Are there restrictions in the LPA you have?

I ask because I checked with the OPG about a major decision for my PWD who has lost capacity to manage their financial affairs. I was told I didn’t need OPG authorisation because there are no restrictions in the LPA and the attorneys are able to act jointly or severally. Has your PWD lost capacity?

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
A recent capacity test in November proved that in the realms of probability she lost capacity to make financial decisions in April.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
A recent capacity test in November proved that in the realms of probability she lost capacity to make financial decisions in April.
I echo Nitram’s questions.

The only things I can think of is that the LPA was set up so that it could only be used when she had lost capacity, and/or that it hadn’t been registered when it was used. Still odd though - how did the OPG know that this stair lift was installed? Is there another interested party who has raised the matter with the OPG?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi
I’m having to fill in a COP1c form with regard to applying to become a deputy. Does anyone know why this has to be done if you are already an attorney?
If you are already an attorney, why would you need to apply to become a deputy?

Has someone spoken to the OPG with regard to misuse of funds and they are investigating? (I fail to see how installing a stair lift could be construed as anything other than useful to your mum! Unless she doesn't need it and you've installed it just to carry the laundry upstairs...?)

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
If you are already an attorney, why would you need to apply to become a deputy?

Has someone spoken to the OPG with regard to misuse of funds and they are investigating? (I fail to see how installing a stair lift could be construed as anything other than useful to your mum! Unless she doesn't need it and you've installed it just to carry the laundry upstairs...?)

Pharoah 41

Jan 15, 2024
🤭
I echo Nitram’s questions.

The only things I can think of is that the LPA was set up so that it could only be used when she had lost capacity, and/or that it hadn’t been registered when it was used. Still odd though - how did the OPG know that this stair lift was installed? Is there another interested party who has raised the matter with the OPG?
🤣 It is part of an investigation from a family member so maybe it has something to do with that and the OPG are just covering their backs.
Thank you all, your responses and support have made me feel a lot more comfortable going forward. I’ll let you know how I get on.
🤞🏻

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
🤭

🤣 It is part of an investigation from a family member so maybe it has something to do with that and the OPG are just covering their backs.
Thank you all, your responses and support have made me feel a lot more comfortable going forward. I’ll let you know how I get on.
🤞🏻
Although the attorney is free to choose how to spend money in donor's best interests if a complaint is made and it's not obvious that an expenditure is in the donor's interest, eg care fees, the OPG have to check.
Not studied the form, a statement for an OT or physio could be useful.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
🤭

🤞🏻
Would be good to hear how this plays out. Why anyone would object to the installation of a stair lift is rather beyond me.