content insurance for empty property - any advice

whoknkows

May 16, 2023
MiL is in a nursing home and likely to stay - the property she lived in will not be sold in the foreseeable future, and her furniture is there along with some other furniture that will be collected from storage (when hospital bed etc. has been cleared) to save the storage costs of nearly £200 pcm. I have just rung my insurance company for a quote on contents insurance as her current provider are changing hands - they have not been updated on the empty property status yet. The company I spoke will not insurance an unoccupied property and I understand this is quite a common problem. Anyone had any luck finding a company that will. The contents are worth less than £10,000, likely less than £5,000 - I have her jewellery, which is also not of a high value. The building is insured by the freeholder so that is not our concern, we just pay him. Maybe no worth insuring at all - although I feel that as PoA I should do my best to protect what I can.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
When dad died I had to value his contents for some reason. Truth was that although he had a lovely bungalow and it was nicely furnished the contents were worth nothing. His furniture had no value and I gave away most of it. He had some nice antique lamps and war memorabilia that could have been sold but we just divided them up. He had 2 nice TV's that went to family, some stuff went to the council tip. Looking at the contents of my own house which is quite nice too I doubt I would get much if I sold the lot. It's all second hand now and a bit old so I probably couldn't give half of it away.

Unless there are valuable antiques or art work then it is basically sentimental value and rarely worth paying for storage. You could always get a house clearer in to give you an estimate but you may find that they will charge you to take it away or a local auctioneer might give you a better idea of value.

I understand what you are doing but in reality if she is not going back you may be better off just putting it in auction and banking the money for her. Keep the Jewellery if it is good because it may go up in value.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Similar to above really. When mum moved out of her bungalow, we did clear it and sell it. The contents of her home amounted to nothing and we had to pay a company to take most of it away and the rest we put in a skip. The insurance company were happy to continually the building’s insurance for 6 month for an un occupied property but as you say this is not an issue for you. If there is anything valuable, I have have it somewhere safe and fully insured like your own home. Other than that, and unless you plan to try to sell his household item, I wouldn’t bother.

whoknkows

May 16, 2023
Thank you SAP I think that will be our conclusion too, but first offer anything to younger relatives, such as good as new saucepans, and a huge collection of cuddly toys that we can offer to her great grandchildren... although the logistics is going to be fun. It is sad because although she cannot possibly go home and is most confused about where she lives, every now and then she says 'I want to go home now'. We have room for a box or two of anything precious, but I am hoping we can clear out to local charities and maybe job lot to auction of anything vaguely valuable and pop the money in her savings account. She was a sucker for Daily Mail special editions 😁, mostly Royal Memorabilia including a limited edition print of a water colour by The King... selling on eBay for £50 atm!

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
I got insurance from saga for mums unoccupied house. We are clearing it and selling it, but we are not in a rush so it’s just piece of mind having it in place.

Clarrisa

Dec 24, 2022
MiL is in a nursing home and likely to stay - the property she lived in will not be sold in the foreseeable future, and her furniture is there along with some other furniture that will be collected from storage (when hospital bed etc. has been cleared) to save the storage costs of nearly £200 pcm. I have just rung my insurance company for a quote on contents insurance as her current provider are changing hands - they have not been updated on the empty property status yet. The company I spoke will not insurance an unoccupied property and I understand this is quite a common problem. Anyone had any luck finding a company that will. The contents are worth less than £10,000, likely less than £5,000 - I have her jewellery, which is also not of a high value. The building is insured by the freeholder so that is not our concern, we just pay him. Maybe no worth insuring at all - although I feel that as PoA I should do my best to protect what I can.
Saga insurance covers unoccupied homes.

whoknkows

May 16, 2023
Thank you both, I will make enquiries - we cleared basic and obvious rubbish and I have the only jewellery of value, not hugely valuable either - but having some insurance would give us peace of mind so I will contact Saga.

The company who collect and deliver hospital equipment went to the care home instead of the flat, and refused to pick up from the flat because the OT needs to give them the address! The care home rang and asked them to as well, but not luck. I now have a sofa and a small ottoman in my house, sofa will be donated to charity, but we squeezed in armchairs and boxes of books and a few cushions to the flat alongside the 7 boxes of incontinence products that were delivered and a neighbour took in! Again the nursing home said they are happy to take a box a week.

Just need to chase up collection of hospital bed, Sara steady, hospital chair, walker, mattress and commode🤞.