Coconut oil as Alzheimer's therapy/support

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You won't have good responses Rosy because IMO, I'm afraid it's a wild goose chase.

I totally understand your desperation and search but unfortunately so do the people who peddle this idea as a cure.

To be honest, I think you're determined to try it and I would say ...'Fine, go for it' if it were for yourself
but if you are administering it to someone without their knowledge then it also lends an uncomfortable angle to the exercise.

It also puts them at risk of diarrhoea and raised saturated fats which, if there is already vascular problem, means you're potentially adding to the problem.

RosieLondon

Jul 1, 2015
You won't have good responses Rosy because IMO, I'm afraid it's a wild goose chase.

I totally understand your desperation and search but unfortunately so do the people who peddle this idea as a cure.

Hi Garnuft, Thanks for your email - don't worry - I have gone via my mum's GP - I have had consultation with Maudsley Pharmacology department to look at drug interactions with food supplements and my mums GP is monitoring the balance of food supplements and medication that my mum is on. We are monitoring her weight/cholesterol etc. I agree with you - I wouldn't dream of giving my mother anything without medical advice from her own personal healthcare professionals. There have been many, many loved ones who have found good results with coconut oil on various forums - I think as long as you take the lengths of caution and safeguarding that I have gone to it's worth a try. I will sign off for now. Rosie.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's no proof it helps but there's no proof it doesn't either, has incorporating it into our diet helped my wife's AZ, who can tell? however, and this may be a first but my doctor took me off statins last week as my cholesterol levels were so low, was it the coconut oil?
As someone who likes to cook I'd say it's a really useful thing to have in the kitchen, it's much better for shallow frying or browning meat for a curry or casserole that normal oil, it doesn't burn and fries at a higher temperature.
I buy a 500g jar for £2.49 from a local shop where the lady there told me she cooks with it, uses it on her hair and as a make up remover. I understand it's used as a moisturiser by people with black skin, my daughter in law (mixed ethenicity) uses it on her dry skin patches.
Until it's proved one way or another we'll never know but if you google "coconut oil Alzheimer's" then there's an awful lot of people saying it does so it's costing me and the NHS nothing so I'll carry on using it.
K

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
There's no proof it helps but there's no proof it doesn't either, has incorporating it into our diet helped my wife's AZ, who can tell? however, and this may be a first but my doctor took me off statins last week as my cholesterol levels were so low, was it the coconut oil?
As someone who likes to cook I'd say it's a really useful thing to have in the kitchen, it's much better for shallow frying or browning meat for a curry or casserole that normal oil, it doesn't burn and fries at a higher temperature.
I buy a 500g jar for £2.49 from a local shop where the lady there told me she cooks with it, uses it on her hair and as a make up remover. I understand it's used as a moisturiser by people with black skin, my daughter in law (mixed ethenicity) uses it on her dry skin patches.
Until it's proved one way or another we'll never know but if you google "coconut oil Alzheimer's" then there's an awful lot of people saying it does so it's costing me and the NHS nothing so I'll carry on using it.
K

I don't think any of us have a real issue with anything you have said. What I have an issue with is someone buying a £5 jar of coconut oil, blending it with 'who-knows-what' and selling it for £30 then adding on £60 to post a couple of jars to the UK. Whether it works or not, that practice is unethical.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dr. Phil is not a medical doctor, he is a PhD doctor. He also was flogging weight loss products but was forced to pull them off the market by the Federal Trade Commission as he could not substantiate the claims. He subsequently settled a class action suit out of court.

So I would not consider him a reliable source of accurate information for anything. The man is out to make money and does not appear to have any morals as to how he does it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl