Checking Up On Me

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Just wondering, does anyone else's partner or caregiver check up on their food intake?

Recently my partner has taken to checking my freezer, cupboards and fridge when she comes to my place (we lived together for 8 years but live apart now) and she comments when I don't use much food.

I'm sure she does it with the best of intentions but it kinda feels like she thinks I'm not capable or something. I've tried explaining that it's just that sometimes when I get home from work I can't be bothered cooking anything so I'll either have nothing or have a bowl of cereal.

It's not a big deal, yet, but I do sometimes feel myself getting annoyed over it and have to try and stay calm.

On the positive side, it shows that she cares I guess.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi danonwheels
to be honest, yes, I did used to check up on dad's fridge and cupboards, and I can see how it may be a bit annoying
he wasn't too good at shopping after mum died, so it was a bit of daughterly concern - and to see he didn't just have the makings of cheese sandwiches and beans on toast - sorry but he was a bit of a 'throwback' to pre healthy eating
I do think it's a woman thing, too - it's one way to show we care

if I thought a boyfriend wasn't eating well, I'd do the same, I'm afraid - and you do say yourself
sometimes when I get home from work I can't be bothered cooking anything so I'll either have nothing or have a bowl of cereal
which, you've got to admit, isn't that 'healthy' - though I don't know what you've had during the day, of course - everyone misses the odd meal, but as I live alone, I have to watch myself and not slip into bad habits (esp as I hate food shopping!)

if you don't fancy cooking, maybe lay in a store of ready meals/pizzas etc - they last a while in the fridge and many can be frozen - just check that they can be heated from frozen, as I learned to my cost that some have to be defrosted, which rather takes the spontaneity out of the procedure (though you could get one out in the morning and let it defrost in the fridge that day) - or have some tins of good soups ...sorry probably stating the obvious

maybe chat with her about this - then you can come to an agreement over what to do about food
suppose you could both go out for a meal ?

Last edited:

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Thanks. I do realise it shows she cares and understand that. Maybe it's got to do with me coming to terms with the situation perhaps? This is still all relatively new to me after all.

I do have loads of tinned stuff in the cupboard including soups. There's always bread in and plenty of stuff in the freezer including things that can be heated from the freezer. I just sometimes can't be bothered. Then there's other days when I'm ravenous.

She's told me she wants me to take a picture of what I'm eating and send it to her to prove that I am. I think she was joking...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I recently had an issue with my SIL who is handicapped and wasnt apparently eating any of the food I was buying after she broke her shoulder. I don t have the time or energy to mess about so was mightily relieved when I met her coming out of McDonald's. She has obviously decided to eat out. She's 80 so I reckon eating rubbish is neither here nor there. Find easy, nutritious food and eat when it suits you. Oh and by the way having someone in your life who cares makes you one lucky guy.

Ed1964

Jan 18, 2012
Just wondering, does anyone else's partner or caregiver check up on their food intake?

Recently my partner has taken to checking my freezer, cupboards and fridge when she comes to my place (we lived together for 8 years but live apart now) and she comments when I don't use much food.

I'm sure she does it with the best of intentions but it kinda feels like she thinks I'm not capable or something. I've tried explaining that it's just that sometimes when I get home from work I can't be bothered cooking anything so I'll either have nothing or have a bowl of cereal.

It's not a big deal, yet, but I do sometimes feel myself getting annoyed over it and have to try and stay calm.

On the positive side, it shows that she cares I guess.

Yes, it's a caring, decent thing she's doing. Try to eat 'properly' - it'll keep you healthy - and her happy. Get annoyed when no one cares!
Ed

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Hi Dan
My wife had to go into hospital recently. It was sudden and for quite major surgery. One of the things she did before going was to get several friends and relatives to check that I was eating. Now she's home she often asks although her own appetite hasn't yet come back
John

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl