Changing nature of Covid: Is it just a regular winter bug now?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I saw that report this morning and thought that it was quite interesting, but maybe to early to say for sure.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We are supposed to be coming out of winter and didn’t notice much about COVID then.

However, just recently, I have heard of people I know coming down with it and a local nursing home has 10 cases. Not sure yet what to make of it.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Indeed, COVID appears to be adopting the characteristics of a regular winter bug.
Yes, it seems as though it is. Reports suggest it's still a nasty bug. I remember hearing Dr Chris Smith, virologist, saying it will probably be around for many years, but each year its nastiness will diminish (slowly?).
Apparently we still have Spanish Flu with us over 100 years later - it's more like the common cold now.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Oh no Covid, you're still here,
In Spain they've now got masks on.
Is there reason to still fear?
If "yes", we've got a task on.

It could just be left wingers,
Who like to con-trol people.
They love to be fear bringers,
They like to freedom-cripple.

Of course we must protect all those
Who would be put in danger.
They can cover mouth and nose,
To keep them safe from strangers.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Our state government has reported that there has been an increased number of hospitalisations from COVID in recent weeks and that we should be taking more care with personal hygiene and wearing masks etc.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
All of us had covid in March 22 I think my son bought it home. My husband felt a bit 'iffy' so took a test and was positive, so our son and I took a test and we were positive although we had no symptoms then. I had a slight loss of taste and that was it. Plain sailing.

My husband had a bit of a cold end of November 2023 and as he had a dentist appointment he took a test and yes he was positive. I took a test and was negative, the son didn't bother. Anyway I tested positive about a week later and had to cancel all my pre Christmas festivities of two lunches and two evenings which was really annoying but y throat felt like I had swallowed a razor blade, I lost my voice for 3 days and felt awful. I had fevers and even lost a bit of weight. but funnily enough all my husband had was the sniffles.

Don't be complacent, you don't want to catch it, it's not nice. Oh, and we have had all the jabs available.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
All of us had covid in March 22 I think my son bought it home. My husband felt a bit 'iffy' so took a test and was positive, so our son and I took a test and we were positive although we had no symptoms then. I had a slight loss of taste and that was it. Plain sailing.

My husband had a bit of a cold end of November 2023 and as he had a dentist appointment he took a test and yes he was positive. I took a test and was negative, the son didn't bother. Anyway I tested positive about a week later and had to cancel all my pre Christmas festivities of two lunches and two evenings which was really annoying but y throat felt like I had swallowed a razor blade, I lost my voice for 3 days and felt awful. I had fevers and even lost a bit of weight. but funnily enough all my husband had was the sniffles.

Don't be complacent, you don't want to catch it, it's not nice. Oh, and we have had all the jabs available.
Thanks for that info, @Duggies-girl
I did see a similar post from another member recently. I certainly wouldn't want to catch it. The last cold I had was 2018. We do get out a lot (not in the recent very cold wind, though), although we only tend to have brief conversations, and they're normally outside. We avoid public transport.

I can't remember seeing anyone wearing a mask for ages. I've just had a look at the incidence of covid (only England and Wales) but that's useless as the map is from 9 December.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I've just had a look at the incidence of covid (only England and Wales) but that's useless as the map is from 9 December.
'Date of release: 11 January 2024
Date of next release: 18 January 2024

The reference period for the data in this release is 16 November 2023 to 03 January 2024.'

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Neveradullday! I went to a non covid related funeral today and afterwards I was talking to a number of people who had also had covid around the same time as us and of course they were all older people. I think a lot of younger people don't bother with testing anymore probably because they don't have any testing kits left and many just fob it off as a bit of a cold. We had a box left and I probably wouldn't have bothered to test but my husband did purely because he had a dentist appointment.

Even if I hadn't tested positive I would have cancelled most things because I am very aware of the vulnerability of some of the people I would have been meeting. One has serious heart problems, two have had chemo and one has an elderly parent with dementia and none of the others are youngsters so even if I only had a mild cold I would have had to think twice.