Change for the better!

lindad123456789

Feb 1, 2015
The G.P. has taken mum off most of her medication..been off 10 drugs for 2 weeks now & the change in her is amazing..how long it will last I don't know..
She is perky..cheeky..laughing..although still telling fairy stories! She can stand up now & shuffle a few feet to the commode.Before she would get upset & refuse to move ..think she was scared of falling as she had 3 falls in the C.H.the last one pretty bad..we brought her home to her house where my stepdad cares for her..
He found it difficult but now she is more compliant with instructions he is managing better!I haven't got the strength to lift her so getting carers in to help with bed bath hair wash a couple of times a week.
She is also eating much better & drinking normally..like a miracle..

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The G.P. has taken mum off most of her medication..been off 10 drugs for 2 weeks now & the change in her is amazing..how long it will last I don't know..
She is perky..cheeky..laughing..although still telling fairy stories! She can stand up now & shuffle a few feet to the commode.Before she would get upset & refuse to move ..think she was scared of falling as she had 3 falls in the C.H.the last one pretty bad..we brought her home to her house where my stepdad cares for her..
He found it difficult but now she is more compliant with instructions he is managing better!I haven't got the strength to lift her so getting carers in to help with bed bath hair wash a couple of times a week.
She is also eating much better & drinking normally..like a miracle..
It's nice to get a bit of good news and I'd like to say that I'm very happy for your mum and the family.
I have read of this sort of thing before and presume that it's the result of the person suffering side effects from the medication. Certainly some of the common side effects listed for my wife's meds include tiredness, dizziness, accidents, feeling sluggish, blurred eyesight, falls, fatigue etc. Luckily my wife tolerates her meds very well but it reads like you mum didn't. The removal of the meds seems to have removed the side effects so hopefully it will last.
I suppose the removal of the meds will also remove any therapeutic effect but hopefully the gains will outweigh any losses and that this is why the doctor withdrew the medication.
I wish you and your family the best of luck for the future.

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
my hubby has passed away .but he had to change care home as he needed more nursing care, the new care home had a qualified nurse on hand all the time,when he went into the new home he couldnt walk if he did he fell over ,the nurse stopped most of the drugs he was taking and changed round the ones he needed, in a few days he was walking very slow but he could get about again,and more of his old self came back so it was the medication that was having this effect,and im so pleased things are working out for you and your family

lindad123456789

Feb 1, 2015
It's nice to get a bit of good news and I'd like to say that I'm very happy for your mum and the family.
I have read of this sort of thing before and presume that it's the result of the person suffering side effects from the medication. Certainly some of the common side effects listed for my wife's meds include tiredness, dizziness, accidents, feeling sluggish, blurred eyesight, falls, fatigue etc. Luckily my wife tolerates her meds very well but it reads like you mum didn't. The removal of the meds seems to have removed the side effects so hopefully it will last.
I suppose the removal of the meds will also remove any therapeutic effect but hopefully the gains will outweigh any losses and that this is why the doctor withdrew the medication.
I wish you and your family the best of luck for the future.
Thank you..time will tell I guess...

lindad123456789

Feb 1, 2015
My stepfather does get his hopes up that she is getting better but has now accepted that the dementia never will..

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My stepfather does get his hopes up that she is getting better but has now accepted that the dementia never will..
The dementia never will but maybe she can now live better with her dementia. Stay positive if you can - I see the silver lining in every cloud and that attitude helps me.