Challenges with rehab treatment being refused because of dementia.

Mangsit

Jul 21, 2016
Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right forum but you seem to have so many it's difficult to find the most appropriate one.

I've joined this system to try to get a overview of how widespread are some of the challenges I have had to deal with during hospital care for my mother. The current one is that my mother fell and broke her hip and arm, and the hospital social care worker and ward physio have both recommended next stage to be "non-weight bearing bed then rehab.". Another link in the chain, the Council Community Care Service have apparently assessed my mother (not liaised with me at all) and decided she cannot interact with rehab, despite these other two recommendations and previous excellent result from rehab in April. The cynic in me wonders whether the assessment was done with any real knowledge of dementia and whether there is a push to save money on such people. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has experienced similar and any suggestions of what I might do next.

I have lots of other issues with hospitals and patients with dementia for another day.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Money is tight everywhere so it wouldn't surprise me. Ring them & chat to them about it.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
The cynic in me wonders whether the assessment was done with any real knowledge of dementia and whether there is a push to save money on such people. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has experienced similar and any suggestions of what I might do next.
Welcome to TP.:)
I had to fight very hard indeed with Social Services to get Mom in a 6 week rehab programme after a fall . OT and physio in the hospital refused to interact with her even though she was able to walk holding on to a Nurses arm to go to the Loo.:rolleyes:

She was moved to a Nursing Home but the OT & physio didn't visit till after 2 weeks and only showed up again the day before the 6 weeks were up.:mad:

It is down to how the management at the top decide to spend their money and not so much lack of funding. In my area there was only 1 OT working part time and she was due to retire. The CEO of the County Council assured my MP it was a wonderful, fully staffed unit with excellent results.:confused:

However a neighbouring Council have a special bed unit, fully staffed that is set up with a kitchen lounge, stairs and garden that assesses people to see and to help them return to their own home.

My Local Authority knew my Mom had her own house and would therefore be self funding if she went into a Nursing Home.:rolleyes: What is your Mothers situation?

Is wish you and your Mom all the best.:)

Mangsit

Jul 21, 2016
Welcome to TP :)

Money is tight everywhere so it wouldn't surprise me. Ring them & chat to them about it.

Argh!!! I am sorry I don't know what icon to use but really - of course I have phoned, chatted, been sent to next person, phoned, chatted, put the various workers in touch with each other as they didn't know who was who themselves, written, gone through responses logically and pointed out illogicalities, and suggested alternative, fund-saving approaches. I actually spent 1.5 hours talking with a "Dementia Care Matron" about how they could improve their environment to help patients with dementia who come in with non-dementia related care. I have a "dementia navigator" contact me who has a heart of gold and very little knowledge about the system.

There is a chronic design process failure and a focus on short-term, I-only-deal-with-my-area, thinking that actually costs the system and us a lot more.

I do thank some of the other responders for their expressed sympathy and support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C