Carer Financial Support

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Hi there

I hope someone can help because I feel like I'm in a sea of information. Am I right in saying I can get no financial support as a carer unless I care for more than 35 hours a week?

Mum is in the process of moving closer to me but I will still have to drive 1 hour a day, 4 days a week. Is it possible to claim travel costs back at least? I will also be doing the work that a paid carer would do, for probably 10 hours a week. Is this not recognised at all? Because I wont be able to work whilst looking after mum.

Hope someone can help.

Regards
Chook
x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Yes you can ...........

Chook ! , Am sorry you are finding it :confused:ing claiming benefit support for your Mum, tho reading posts on TP you are not the only one to have this problem ! Please see below for the help you can claim :

* Attendance Allowance = 2 Elements day & night ( only if your Mum will need night time care )

* Carers Allowance ( if you stop work or work part time ? )

Sorry am not much help but if you Google Carer's Allowance it will give you the Govt Web Site & all the Information you need or check out the A S Fact sheets ( drop down Box R H Side on this page Click on fact sheets ......... done in subject area etc ............there is one all about benefit 's ( you can print it out ) .....EDIT......BENEFIT Fact Sheet is 413 ( under financial section )

Hope that helps & sorry have not covered it very well , am sure other's will be along soon to help you

Hope the move for your Mum goes well

Grove x ................ Turn2Us is a Welfare Charity & has its own Web Site they will be able to help you x

Last edited:

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hope This Helps ........

Chook , Please see below for another Benefit Link :

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

Click on the section * = Carers & Disability , you will find all the Information you need ( you can fill out the forms on -line ) :)

Do not think you get any petrol money tho when you visit & care for your Mum

Grove x

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, has your mum had a financial assesment and been given a budget to spend on her care? Or will she be self funding.
My mum has direct payments from the LA and we can pay who ever we want as long as they do not live at her address and pay tax on the money they earn, no cash in hand jobs. We have to submit invoices.
If she is self funding then I believe she can still pay you out of her own funds, including expenses. Again not cash in hand. Keep good paper work and all records, all expenses.
I think carers allowance would be more applicable if you lived with or very near by.