Carehome have now said palliative care is being put into place

rgrst

Apr 16, 2020
Hi all,

I’m new to this. So my Nan has had Alzheimer’s for a very long time now. She went down hill very fast. She lives 4.5/5 hours away from us so visiting is difficult especially with children being at school etc.
So with this devestating virus situation, we have still been waiting for the home to contact us to let us know if the home was safe, how my Nan was doing etc as they said they would. We heard nothing. I found an email and contacted them last night to see what was happening and to make sure all were okay, to thank them for their hard work etc.
I had a reply this morning which has shockingly bad news. The home have no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID19 - which is absolutely fantastic! But then I hear That my nans condition has deteriorated, she is having difficulties with eating and drinking, also she experienced more jerky movements (bad twitches because of the epilepsy). They are going to review her condition with the GP later today as they think that my Nan may be reaching the end of her life, therefore they need to prepare for palliative care. Then I am told that my nans condition took a turn to the worse in the last couple of days, and they are just waiting for the GP's review in order to plan ahead.
I just can’t seem to process this or understand what it really means. Visiting is out of question as the home is on lockdown and if I travelled up there I would have nowhere to stay due to lockdown and social distancing. I am so glad I emailed them otherwise I wouldn’t have even know that she had gotten so bad! No one at all had even contacted any of us to tell us!
Sorry for the long post and rant but I just can’t get my head around it. I managed to visit her earlier this year, cuddle her and play some music we used to listen too together but I just wish I could be with her and hold her tight through this :(.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi all,

I’m new to this. So my Nan has had Alzheimer’s for a very long time now. She went down hill very fast. She lives 4.5/5 hours away from us so visiting is difficult especially with children being at school etc.
So with this devestating virus situation, we have still been waiting for the home to contact us to let us know if the home was safe, how my Nan was doing etc as they said they would. We heard nothing. I found an email and contacted them last night to see what was happening and to make sure all were okay, to thank them for their hard work etc.
I had a reply this morning which has shockingly bad news. The home have no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID19 - which is absolutely fantastic! But then I hear That my nans condition has deteriorated, she is having difficulties with eating and drinking, also she experienced more jerky movements (bad twitches because of the epilepsy). They are going to review her condition with the GP later today as they think that my Nan may be reaching the end of her life, therefore they need to prepare for palliative care. Then I am told that my nans condition took a turn to the worse in the last couple of days, and they are just waiting for the GP's review in order to plan ahead.
I just can’t seem to process this or understand what it really means. Visiting is out of question as the home is on lockdown and if I travelled up there I would have nowhere to stay due to lockdown and social distancing. I am so glad I emailed them otherwise I wouldn’t have even know that she had gotten so bad! No one at all had even contacted any of us to tell us!
Sorry for the long post and rant but I just can’t get my head around it. I managed to visit her earlier this year, cuddle her and play some music we used to listen too together but I just wish I could be with her and hold her tight through this :(.
I’m so sorry to hear this. I can totally understand how devastating the lack of communication is. I have no advice that I can give you . Sending hugs which is all about I can do.((((hugs))).

rgrst

Apr 16, 2020
I’m so sorry to hear this. I can totally understand how devastating the lack of communication is. I have no advice that I can give you . Sending hugs which is all about I can do.((((hugs))).
Thank you, hopefully I find out more news later on

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry that you have had this bad news. It sounds as if your nan has reached the natural end of the dementia pathway now. This shutting down of the body with difficulties eating and drinking is what happens at the end with dementia. It doesnt sound as though it is anything to do with covid.

Although the home is in lockdown, it is OK for relatives to visit at End of Life, so if you could find somewhere to stay, they would let you in, but I appreciate that this may not be possible.

rgrst

Apr 16, 2020
Im so sorry that you have had this bad news. It sounds as if your nan has reached the natural end of the dementia pathway now. This shutting down of the body with difficulties eating and drinking is what happens at the end with dementia. It doesnt sound as though it is anything to do with covid.

Although the home is in lockdown, it is OK for relatives to visit at End of Life, so if you could find somewhere to stay, they would let you in, but I appreciate that this may not be possible.
Thank you, I think I will shoot up there when I hear back from them. Even if it means that I sleep in my car, I just need to make sure there are people there for her and for her partner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B