Care Homes Nottingham

Trebor100

Hi

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of care homes in Nottinghamshire? I have been a full time carer for my mother for 2 years and she is now in the "Severe" category of the disease. The Consultant has advised to seek recommendations from those whose relatives have been in a home as the CQC recommends are based on a "point in time" and not necessarily a reflection of reality/current day. He has also advised that I should initially admit her as a respite resident in case the place is not for her or she is not for them. It will be self funded. I want her to go to a home that she can remain at such that if her physical health then deteriorates, they then dont demand we move her. Many thanks for any recommends or avoids!

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Hi welcome to Talking point, you will find much information to help you, but unfortunately the T&C's do not allow the names of care homes on the forum but people may contact you by private message, PM. hope that is of help to you.

Trebor100

Hi welcome to Talking point, you will find much information to help you, but unfortunately the T&C's do not allow the names of care homes on the forum but people may contact you by private message, PM. hope that is of help to you.

Thanks. Can I suggest you make your staff aware of this then please as when I spoke to the Nottingham office, this is the advice they gave me.

Kevinl

Thanks. Can I suggest you make your staff aware of this then please as when I spoke to the Nottingham office, this is the advice they gave me.

A bit on the sharp side, Nell as it says under the name is a volunteer on here and only advising you of the T&C's you agreed to when you joined in spite of what you were told by someone who was probably was a volunteer too and my well never have been on here.
It may be they said ask for recommendations and didn't mention the "avoids" doing that on a public forum may get some one sued.
That said the kind of home you need to be looking for would need to be able to cope with probably escalating nursing needs as well as being able to handle her if she became more aggressive, so probably one of the bigger multi unit type of places rather than a smaller one where nursing needs or challenging behaviour care may not be available.
People can send you their comments in a private message but you cannot reply until you've posted on here 10 times (I understand).
K

cat64

HI ...........Ive just sent you a personal message as we are in Nottm and mum has just gone into a home............viewed 10 homes ...and yes they are a real mixture.

get on carehome.co.uk as a starting point. goodluck!

fizzie

Hi I would suggest as well that you google the local carers organisation and find out when your carers cafes are - they are usually a great place to get local info by word of mouth (the kind of info that noone would post anywhere) and they won't worry about telling you - good , bad and ugly! Once you have some recommendations from here by private message and from there by word of mouth you can visit 4 or 5 using a checklist like this
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/care-home-checklist/location-and-building/
then you will get a feel for what you want. Do ask about things like end of life care - some homes will keep people in the home with nursing care and not move them to hospital, others do not, so just check out their policies and practice.

and also check out whether she might be eligible for continuing healthcare funding

I know your consultant said don't worry about cqc reports but everything you base a judgement on is at that point in time and they are quite thorough. I would look at the reports for your shortlist and I wouldn't go for anything that was less than 'good' in the report and particularly if there are any questions over care or staffing. A home is often only as good as the manager - and managers change - so nothing will be perfect!

Trebor100

A bit on the sharp side, Nell as it says under the name is a volunteer on here and only advising you of the T&C's you agreed to when you joined in spite of what you were told by someone who was probably was a volunteer too and my well never have been on here.
It may be they said ask for recommendations and didn't mention the "avoids" doing that on a public forum may get some one sued.
That said the kind of home you need to be looking for would need to be able to cope with probably escalating nursing needs as well as being able to handle her if she became more aggressive, so probably one of the bigger multi unit type of places rather than a smaller one where nursing needs or challenging behaviour care may not be available.
People can send you their comments in a private message but you cannot reply until you've posted on here 10 times (I understand).
K

I'm sorry, but what did I say that was a "bit sharp"? I followed a process given to me by the Alzheimer office. I was merely suggesting that they were out of step with the policy of the website.

Trebor100

HI ...........Ive just sent you a personal message as we are in Nottm and mum has just gone into a home............viewed 10 homes ...and yes they are a real mixture.

Thanks Cat - very helpful, thank you!

Trebor100

Hi I would suggest as well that you google the local carers organisation and find out when your carers cafes are - they are usually a great place to get local info by word of mouth (the kind of info that noone would post anywhere) and they won't worry about telling you - good , bad and ugly! Once you have some recommendations from here by private message and from there by word of mouth you can visit 4 or 5 using a checklist like this

then you will get a feel for what you want. Do ask about things like end of life care - some homes will keep people in the home with nursing care and not move them to hospital, others do not, so just check out their policies and practice.

and also check out whether she might be eligible for continuing healthcare funding

I know your consultant said don't worry about cqc reports but everything you base a judgement on is at that point in time and they are quite thorough. I would look at the reports for your shortlist and I wouldn't go for anything that was less than 'good' in the report and particularly if there are any questions over care or staffing. A home is often only as good as the manager - and managers change - so nothing will be perfect!

Hi Fizzie - yes I think that was the Consultant's point about the CQC reports - he was saying that you need to be careful when it had been done because a lot could have changed since. But as you say, they are a starting point if nothing else. Thanks again.

Trebor100

Thanks very much Cat, received it and I will investigate!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012