Care home staff - Acceptable behaviour?

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Opinions welcome for this query:

Care home staff member "DN" works at care home full time and done so for years.
DN accompanied mum (a resident of care home) on a week's trip to Blackpool which mum paid £570 for while she has dementia and totally incapacitated and lacks capacity to manage her affairs while those who have LPA over her haven't lodged this with any financial institution.

Is this acceptable behaviour in terms of risk assessment, governing rules of Care Quality Commission all while DN is away from her usual work place and mum away from usual residency/care of care home?

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Might have missed something but are you saying your Mum isn't able to enjoy such a holiday and should not have been taken along?

Personally I would love my Mum to go for a little holiday if it mean't she could feel the sun on her skin, smell the sea and enjoy some sea food...Never been to Blackpool so perhaps it is too noisy and unsuitable?

I assume risk assessments are carried out before such holidays?

Opinions welcome for this query:

Care home staff member "DN" works at care home full time and done so for years.
DN accompanied mum (a resident of care home) on a week's trip to Blackpool which mum paid £570 for while she has dementia and totally incapacitated and lacks capacity to manage her affairs while those who have LPA over her haven't lodged this with any financial institution.

Is this acceptable behaviour in terms of risk assessment, governing rules of Care Quality Commission all while DN is away from her usual work place and mum away from usual residency/care of care home?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
People are taken out from homes for day trips so I don't think this would be any different really, is she ok, Is she back now? I wonder what you are worried about as you don't make it very clear.

As Wolfgirl says any risk assessment would be taken out before they went and any insurance that would be needed to cover the holiday,

Last edited:

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
So you are saying that your mum paid for DN to go to Blackpool with her? Was it just the two of them? Private arrangement? Or was it organised by the Care Home?
Its a lot of money - but then care does cost a lot of money. Was DN effectively working the whole time? On call at night?
Was your mum able to appreciate and enjoy the trip? Was she able to actively choose to go on the trip?
Anyway - I hope your mum had a good time.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Hi - I'm not sure what your query is either, I'm surprised at being taken on a holiday by a member of staff I've never heard of it before

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Are you saying you haven't been informed of this or the costs before the holiday and the money has been taken without the consent of the LPA holder?
I find it a bit unusual that they would take her on a whole week's holiday - days out are understandable and common, but who arranged a whole week? If it's been arranged by the care home surely what she pays for a week normally should cover this, except maybe some treats while she's there?
I am afraid we need more details here.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Well it's a long story but I believe Care home involved in cover up of fraud of mum who lacks capacity. The attorneys of her LPA are fraudsters and care home protecting the fraudsters when I tried reporting to SS/Police. The attorneys defrauded mum before LPA registered and so OPG can't be involved. Need evidence to prove fraud continued after LPA registered but can't 'cos fraudsters hidden mum's accounts. They haven't lodged LPA with banks and this is to make it appear mum can manage her affairs when she can't.

It's just so unusual for such a thing for care staff to accompany mum (albeit for purposes of care throughout day and night) which no doubt mum enjoyed but I was questioning the legalities of it and as someone rightly pointed out, the care fees she pays £900 per week, should take the place of a week in Blackpool. I enquired with hotel of costs for a week per person and they said £140 per person full board. There would be wheelchair taxi fare from Yorkshire to Blackpool presumably to come out of that £570.

My concern is whether such acts are permitted by CQC in terms of insurance/risk assessments and such like as mum suffers serious neurological issues including regular blackouts, wheelchair and bed bound etc. and totally relies on others for everything and has doctor out all the time (ordered by staff).

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think £140 per week full board is a little conservative.£20 per night full board? I'll have a fortnight please!

I would expect there to be an additional charge to be on holiday- Yes big fat fees but I guess you wanted her room kept for her return, so home would have lost out.

Who gave permission for mum to go?

If you are concerned about the safety or well-being of someone living in a care home, you can contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in England by going to the website.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
So 2 of them, your mum and a carer, went to Blackpool for a week for £570 all in? I think that is cheap.
But someone surely must have been in charge of giving permission for her to go? Who approved it?
If she enjoyed it, I think it's okay, but someone must have come up with the idea and informed whoever they inform about anything to do with her. Not you, then whom?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan73