Care home decisions - any advice?

JaxG

May 15, 2021
My husband went into respite care two weeks ago. He has deteriorated quickly over the last few months to the point where I can no longer cope with his care, or give him the quality of life that he needs. We are not self funding, I have told SS that I can no longer cope, SS have assessed him, and I have been surprised that they have found him a room in a local Care home without any sort of battle!
Does anyone have any experience of the process with LA funding and the choice of care homes? I looked at the home on offer today. It has 'good' CQC rating, and the staff seemed to offer decent care. My concern is that the home is in an old Victorian building which seemed quite shabby and run down. It is a small home with 15 beds, the living area felt a bit claustrophobic, but I wonder if I am expecting too much. Does any one have any experiences that they can share as to what to look out for?

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Don't worry too much if it looks a bit run down. Look at how the carers treat the residents and do the residents look well cared for. Ask what activities they do. See if you can sample some of the food or at least see a menu. If some of the residents can verbalise could you ask them if they like it there?
But most of all - and I've experience of 13 different care homes for my different relatives - I think you can get a feel for a place. Do you think your husband could feel at home there?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I think the main this about LA funded care is that there are few choices . This is down to how much the LA is prepared to pay and if a home is prepared to take LA funded residents.
My mum is funded and the home she is in, is shabby to say the least and the last CQC report was not good reading so I was really worried. However the care my mum has received over the last 18 months has been amazing. She is very content there and the staff really know her and care about her. My own feeling is that is way more important than any decorations or comfy lounges. The CQC is not very reliable as they only look at limited outcomes and aspects.
I hope your OH settles in well and you feel confident about his care.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Look at nothing but the people and the food.
Cleanliness is important too but I'd put that in third place, within limits. Not actually dirty.
Forget the look of the building it might be that all the cash goes on having enough staff and decent food.
There's a local nursing home near me, look great, manicured lawns, lovely location, terrace overlooking the canal but it's rating is one short of special measures.
The more you spend on staff and food the less you have to spend on beautification of the building, you decide. K

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Thank you all for your advice, that's really helpful. I feel more comfortable now. There were activities when I was there. The care worker I spoke to has been there for 20 years and it was clean. I will speak to SS to see if there are other options, just for comparison, but the home is quite inexpensive and probably a preferred option for the LA!!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
We were given three options by the LA. One did not have a good rating, one didn’t even have its own proper kitchen so meals were brought in and the third was quite nice but more importantly a friend who was a carer knew staff there and agreed it was the best one.
If you feel the vibes were good and the LA haven’t given you any other options then it might be best to grab the placement while it is available. The home will want to assess your husband to make sure they can provide the care he needs.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum's care home bought in meals. I think this may have been fairly new when mum went in as they held relatives tasting sessions. On the odd occasion I accidentally turned up at meal times they looked very nice, so I wouldn't discount a home purely for that. They used Appetito I think.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Looks can definitely be deceiving.

My Granny’s care home was a bit shabby but the manager had been there for years, the food was the sort of traditional fare that Granny enjoyed (nothing ‘fancy’!), and there were activities every day including outings, hobby afternoons, and pet visits. I was most impressed by Facebook photos of the ‘Guinea Pig Olympics’ and some visiting alpacas - which were reportedly very well-behaved in the lift when they were taken to visit bed-bound residents upstairs!

Having looked into options for her mother-in-law, my sister visited one of the most impressive and expensive homes in our area. It had all sorts of facilities including a cinema room, manicured gardens and an indoor heated swimming pool. All were in use by staff who were reportedly on their breaks, with no sign of the residents anywhere near them.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Looks can definitely be deceiving.

My Granny’s care home was a bit shabby but the manager had been there for years, the food was the sort of traditional fare that Granny enjoyed (nothing ‘fancy’!), and there were activities every day including outings, hobby afternoons, and pet visits. I was most impressed by Facebook photos of the ‘Guinea Pig Olympics’ and some visiting alpacas - which were reportedly very well-behaved in the lift when they were taken to visit bed-bound residents upstairs!

Having looked into options for her mother-in-law, my sister visited one of the most impressive and expensive homes in our area. It had all sorts of facilities including a cinema room, manicured gardens and an indoor heated swimming pool. All were in use by staff who were reportedly on their breaks, with no sign of the residents anywhere near them.
I like the sound of the guinea pigs and alpacas, my sort of place!! Yep I know the care is the most important thing, it's just hard to know .

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Don't worry too much if it looks a bit run down. Look at how the carers treat the residents and do the residents look well cared for. Ask what activities they do. See if you can sample some of the food or at least see a menu. If some of the residents can verbalise could you ask them if they like it there?
But most of all - and I've experience of 13 different care homes for my different relatives - I think you can get a feel for a place. Do you think your husband could feel at home there?
My only experience of care homes is the one where he has respite. It's purpose built, single storey, and I know the staff well. The care home on offer is just so different and it's difficult to get a 'feel' for it. The residents I saw seemed more advanced in their dementia, I think the adjustment will be difficult for my OH. He's sort of lucid but has no functioning or thinking processes, and needs 24 hour monitoring. But I am grateful that SS are offering full time care.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
The most important thing is the care that's given, rather than the surroundings.

My mother's care home is an Edwardian house and it is 'homely' and not at all swish, but there is a lovely atmosphere as soon as you walk in, it feels calm and friendly. All the senior staff have been there for 20+ years and some of the carers themselves have been there for 5+ years. My mother has been happy and well cared for, and I have got to know the staff very well, I will honestly miss them when my mother dies.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
The most important thing is the care that's given, rather than the surroundings.

My mother's care home is an Edwardian house and it is 'homely' and not at all swish, but there is a lovely atmosphere as soon as you walk in, it feels calm and friendly. All the senior staff have been there for 20+ years and some of the carers themselves have been there for 5+ years. My mother has been happy and well cared for, and I have got to know the staff very well, I will honestly miss them when my mother dies.
That sounds like a wonderful place. I'm glad your mother is so well cared for xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was in a shabby 17 bed care home. I couldn`t have asked for better care, also from long serving staff.

The length of time staff have been in a home is a true example of the stability of the home and the fact they have not looked elsewhere.

His room might have looked better for a coat of paint but he wouldn`t have appreciated that as much as he appreciated the kindness of the staff.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Thank you for this, it has really helped. I don't feel that this particular care home is the right one, but I have a better idea of what to look for going forward

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
Shame Ed Balls has left Parliament. His mum in in a care home near me, and his Dad lives locally too. Would love to know what Ed would do about care homes if he could.
His wife, Yvette Cooper, is now Home Secretary, but unfortunately, has no responsibility for care homes!

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Yep, something needs to change. My experience of caring for my husband with dementia has been so shocking, from start to finish.