Care home advice

Georgie's girl

Aug 7, 2013
Needing some thoughts and advice.....
Mum (81 years young) - diagnosed in January with dementia - quite bad, very rapid decline and confusion. Got cellulitis and ended up in hospital.
Moved into a care home - dual registered for dementia and health in May. Promised the world - stimulation, activities etc. Mum really picked up - confused but cheerful!

Now seems to be spending a lot of time on her own in her room. Some of the residents seem quite poorly with dementia and not many engage with each other. Mum appears lonely...

Should we look for somewhere else as she seems much "better" than many of the other residents ? Wants to get out and about and do things. Always been very active, busy lady!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Georgie`s girl

When my husband went into residential care I told them I only wanted my husband to be in his room at bed time, I wanted him in the sitting room at all other times so he could see people coming and going, even if it was only staff and visitors. He is also 81 and in the later stages of dementia but still with a lot of life left in him.

If you are happy enough with the care your mother is getting I would think twice about moving her. I would just try to improve the life she has in the home where she is.

You can do this by speaking to the manager and asking to discuss possible changes in your mother`s care plan.