Care for Mum - Where next.

islandmum

Nov 24, 2011
Hi! I first joined when my MIL had Alzheimer’s - she died 5 years ago. I’m now walking the same road with my own mum. She’s in ‘late middle stage’, I reckon. She lives in her own home which is a 15 minute drive from my house. We pay a carer to go in Monday to Thursday for two hours each morning (carer has other commitments on Fridays) and she is fantastic. I’m a teacher and I pop in to see her after school each day. I also visit on Saturday and bring her over to ours on a Sunday afternoon. Mum can still deal with her personal care (washing and dressing). She hasn’t cooked for a long time but can make a sandwich, heat something up in the microwave and similar. She refuses meals on wheels and gets very angry if I try to make something. Recently she has begun experiencing delusions on a daily basis. We live in a rural area (Hebridean island) where care options are very limited. There is a lovely Eventide Home run by the local authority but their policy is only to admit people who are seriously at risk at home. My sister (who lives in the south of England) and I both feel that the time is coming where Mum needs significantly more care - she isn’t eating properly and is often lonely and distressed. She doesn’t recognise her house as being her home. Can anyone advise me on where we might go from here? Are we entitled to local authority help? Thank you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome back to the forum @islandmum, although I’m sorry you’re ar facing dementia again.

You need to organise an assessment for care for your mum. This link might help -

You might also find it useful to talk through the issues with someone on the Alzheimer Scotland Helpline -

I realise that it won’t easy getting appropriate care when you live on an island as you do but these might give you a starting point for advice.

Canna

Jan 24, 2022
@islandmum I'm on a Scottish island too. Mum broke her hip, and this triggered our initial contact with social services, so by the time she needed a care home we were already on the radar. One of the beauties of an island community is that people know who you are, and who your mum is, so there's probably a network of people who are aware of her condition and noticing her decline. Mum was a regular at the local surgery for a dressing that needed changed, she was getting help for podiatry, and we were also getting a (much-resented) lunchtime visit from carers, plus I was registered with our local carers' centre. I found that people very much wanted to help, but our local authority social work department was hopelessly stretched, with ridiculous case-loads for the social workers.

I would call and/or email social services and raise your concerns. By the time Mum needed a care home I had a bullet-pointed list of my worries, with examples. It was lots of little things that created a bigger picture, and showed that she wasn't safe at home. Even if you will be self-funding, a social service assessment agreeing that you need 24-hour care is useful, because it allows you to access the free personal and social care payments - apparently you can't apply for an assessment retrospectively. When it came to it, although senior managers wanted us to accept 4xdaily care visits, our social worker fought for Mum to get a care home place.

If you are really concerned, call social work and say that you are at carer breakdown, you can no longer cope, and that your mother is vulnerable. If you are able to wait, I'd get in touch with your care home, too. I'm hoping it's not too far away from you - Mum's is lovely, but because we don't have a care home on the island, it's 3-4 hours each way round trip to visit her on the mainland.

islandmum

Nov 24, 2011
@islandmum I'm on a Scottish island too. Mum broke her hip, and this triggered our initial contact with social services, so by the time she needed a care home we were already on the radar. One of the beauties of an island community is that people know who you are, and who your mum is, so there's probably a network of people who are aware of her condition and noticing her decline. Mum was a regular at the local surgery for a dressing that needed changed, she was getting help for podiatry, and we were also getting a (much-resented) lunchtime visit from carers, plus I was registered with our local carers' centre. I found that people very much wanted to help, but our local authority social work department was hopelessly stretched, with ridiculous case-loads for the social workers.

I would call and/or email social services and raise your concerns. By the time Mum needed a care home I had a bullet-pointed list of my worries, with examples. It was lots of little things that created a bigger picture, and showed that she wasn't safe at home. Even if you will be self-funding, a social service assessment agreeing that you need 24-hour care is useful, because it allows you to access the free personal and social care payments - apparently you can't apply for an assessment retrospectively. When it came to it, although senior managers wanted us to accept 4xdaily care visits, our social worker fought for Mum to get a care home place.

If you are really concerned, call social work and say that you are at carer breakdown, you can no longer cope, and that your mother is vulnerable. If you are able to wait, I'd get in touch with your care home, too. I'm hoping it's not too far away from you - Mum's is lovely, but because we don't have a care home on the island, it's 3-4 hours each way round trip to visit her on the mainland.
Thank you so much for this. Fortunately for us the care home is on the island and is just a 15 minute drive away. I’ll definitely contact social services.

islandmum

Nov 24, 2011
Welcome back to the forum @islandmum, although I’m sorry you’re ar facing dementia again.

You need to organise an assessment for care for your mum. This link might help -

You might also find it useful to talk through the issues with someone on the Alzheimer Scotland Helpline -

I realise that it won’t easy getting appropriate care when you live on an island as you do but these might give you a starting point for advice.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Xx