Car insurance

Bubblesandsqueaks

Oct 26, 2022
My husband is a named driver on my car insurance. Last year I wrote to the insurance company to tell them my husband had been diagnosed but had been told he was still able to drive. I have just had a quote for renewal with a £1.000 increase. I emailed the company to ask the reason but they were very vague, did not mention the dementia diagnosis and said it might by many different factors. If I phone them are they likely to with hold the reason?

My husband still drives well as long as I help him with directions but presumably his diagnosis will effect the policy cost.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Bubblesandsqueaks I don't have direct experience of this, but think that you may get more sense from a telephone conversation. I note that your husband was told that he could still drive but now can't do so safely on his own as he needs help with directions. This is a difficult subject for many but at some point he will need to stop driving. DVLA can choose to do an assessment once made aware of diagnosis.

So long as your husband remains a named driver this is likely to have a major effect on your insurance premium.

There's some guidance here:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimding