Can you give advice on home care agencies/carers please?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Without sounding racist, given m in l's current hospital experience so a little different but.....
A carer needs to have a good command of English language in most cases. We are experiencing times when m in law smply doesnt understand what she's being asked, (and she doesnt have dementia.)

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Without sounding racist, given m in l's current hospital experience so a little different but.....
A carer needs to have a good command of English language in most cases. We are experiencing times when m in law smply doesnt understand what she's being asked, (and she doesnt have dementia.)
We had the same problem with carers provided post hospital discharge. Mum couldn't understand many of them, and most didn't get her sense of humour. I found that they didn't really try to engage with her, simply gave instructions. They also filled in their time logs before doing any caring. They rarely stayed the allotted time.
That said, when I privately employed a carer, who was also not born in UK, we had no problems at all and Mum loved her. She was always on time, worked her full hours and stepped in to cover an evening for me at quite short notice. I viewed her as a friend.