Can I claim for meals as a deputy?

LShip

My dad has a mix of vascular and Alzheimer's, and has been in self-funding residential care in Devon since 2013. I live in Essex, and have been his deputy since then, as he didn't make a lasting power of attorney. He loves the home, as his brother died there and he always thought he had been really well treated while in their care. Dad had a number of friends who used to call on him, but they have all faded away. I would hate to uproot him and bring him near me as I think it would do more damage than good. Dad doesn't recognise me any more, but is able to chat about his early years, even though he gets confused over just who is whom, and the actual events that took place.
I have visited Dad on a reasonably regular basis over the years, usually every two to four months, as work and life allow. I have claimed travel expenses, as I have to stay near the home, as the journey time is too long to do it in a day. Recently the Office for the Public Guardian has told me that I cannot claim for meals, and have intimated that I may need to repay several hundred pounds for meals booked over the last couple of years. My understanding was that reasonable travel costs were allowed, which in my book include feeding yourself. I can't find anything on any website that outlines what are acceptable expenses, other than very vague one-liners.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Jessbow

I think the theory is, you'd have to feed yourself wherever you were

''Several hundred pounds'' does sound quite a lot,over f a couple of years

canary

Im afraid that the Office of Public Guardians is the highest authority on what you can, and cannot, do with deputyship.

Jessbow

it acually outlines this

You can claim expenses for things you must do to carry out your role as deputy, for example phone calls, postage and travel costs. You cannot claim:

• travel costs for social visits
  • for the time spent carrying out your duties (unless you’re a professional deputy, for example a solicitor)
You may be asked to give a detailed report of what you spent. You’ll have to pay the money back if the Office of the Public Guardian finds your expenses are unreasonable. They may ask the court to stop you being a deputy if they think you’ve been dishonest.

Susan11

Before Covid I visited my Mum, three and a half drive away, every fortnight and had to stay in a hotel overnight. I thought it was reasonable that Mum paid for petrol and the hotel as the only reason I incurred the cost was to see her. However as I would have had to eat wherever I was I did not think it was reasonable that she paid for the food we ate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012