Bizarre behavior not diagnosed yet

Avidreader

Jun 16, 2023
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum. Both my mom and dad show signs of dementia. Dad refuses to test, so that’s no help. My mom has been his caregiver, but she now sleeps all day. Doesn’t go to bed until 2 or 3 in the morning. Just the past week and a half she’s had a few bizarre instances. She told both my sister in law and myself that it’s hard to text because fingerprints are receding and the phone doesn’t recognize it. Then yesterday she went shopping with my sister in law. Maria heard the sales person say, Honey why have you put two pairs of pants over your own pants? You can’t tell if they’re going to fit. “

We have her scheduled to se psychiatry next week to look at her meds, but can’t get her in for a cognitive test until September. She has also had a UTI for over three months that won’t go away. We know she isn’t taking her meds right and have a med management nurse documenting how they are both doing. Should know results in a few weeks. That’s the background. My question is…can things slip rapidly like this. Today she seemed pretty normal. Also, could she be having a TIA and should we take her to the ER when these bizarre things happen. She shows no other signs of stroke. Would love your feedback.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Avidreader and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your concerns for your parents which must be very difficult for you. I hope that now you have joined our friendly and supportive community that you will benefit from the vast experience and good suggestions of our members.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Avidreader

Getting muddled with technology and not dressing correctly (multiple garments layered over each other is typical) are very common signs of dementia.

Do you live with your parents? If not, I suspect that there have been odd things happening that you havent been aware of because they happened at home.

Avidreader

Jun 16, 2023
Right now my parents are independent living. Both are adamant about not wanting to move into assisted living. We brought up bringing in a caregiver last Christmas, but they said they weren’t ready. It seems we are closer to needing to make a change than we thought.