Birthday

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
MIL doesn't have "carers" but we can't be far from that stage. Home help does washing up, cleaning, ironing etc.

We have frozen ready meals delivered to her freezer but she never uses them. I have despaired about how to get her to eat them.

During this hot summer I have chilled out a little, filling her fridge with what I call "picnic" foods which I think she enjoys grazing on. And they require no cooking.

Tomorrow she starts a luncheon club, where she is provided with a hot meal, she's being picked up by the minibus at 9.00am which she assures us she will be ready for :eek:

Usually when we ring her at 10.00am to remind her about her meds she is still in bed.:eek:

Tomorrow is her 86th Birthday. When I asked her to check her diary so she can see she has luncheon club she didn't recognise the date as her Birthday. :( This is sad. We'll visit her in the evening with cards & flowers.

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Birthdays do highlight the progression of the disease. My mother used to be precise about sending out birthday cards. Now she cannot remember or respond to a birthday.
Sad ...

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
We called her at 8.00am 8.30 & 9.20am. She was ready & waiting.
Naughtily I whizzed around in the car & waited hidden from view & saw her being picked up and delivered to luncheon club. I wanted to make sure it went to plan. It did & she looked happy.

When we visited her at the end of the day she couldn't remember anything but said she enjoyed herself which is great. Then suddenly she reached for her handbag & pulled out a packet of twixes! Nice to see the memory was working a little as she remembered they were in there but couldn't remember why she had them!

Every week we will have to ring her to make sure she is ready for the mini bus but it's worth it to see her sharing a nice day with similar folk.

I rang the lady who runs it who is so sweet & reassuring & thanked her so much

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
Dear Grandma Joan,
This is such a beautiful little story!
Thank you for the inspiration and a smile!

Very best wishes!

Be happy and be kind to other people, AND TO YOURSELF