Bereavement Support Payment (UK)

Martyjay

Jun 7, 2022
This may be useful for some people… I discovered it through the funeral director’s website and applied yesterday, but then someone else told me about it today as there was an article in the Radio Times. I just mentioned it to my solicitor and he hadn’t heard of it, so I wonder how many people have heard of it?

It is the Bereavement Support Payment (https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment) -

“You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last 21 months. You must claim within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.
You could be eligible if your partner either:
- paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year since 6 April 1975
- died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When they died you must have been:
- under State Pension age
- living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits

You’ll get a first payment and then up to 18 monthly payments. There are 2 rates.

First paymentMonthly payment
Higher rate£3,500£350
Lower rate£2,500£100

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
This may be useful for some people… I discovered it through the funeral director’s website and applied yesterday, but then someone else told me about it today as there was an article in the Radio Times. I just mentioned it to my solicitor and he hadn’t heard of it, so I wonder how many people have heard of it?

It is the Bereavement Support Payment (https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment) -

“You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last 21 months. You must claim within 3 months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.
You could be eligible if your partner either:
- paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year since 6 April 1975
- died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When they died you must have been:
- under State Pension age
- living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits

You’ll get a first payment and then up to 18 monthly payments. There are 2 rates.

First paymentMonthly payment
Higher rate£3,500£350
Lower rate£2,500£100
It's good to share this, I expect many are unaware. Notice it says "when they died you must have been under state pension age" .... which seems a typical get out!

Martyjay

Jun 7, 2022
It's good to share this, I expect many are unaware. Notice it says "when they died you must have been under state pension age" .... which seems a typical get out!
It does - but if there’s an age difference…

I thank you for the years

Oct 5, 2021
It also says

and I cant see how that would relate to dementia.
Have you received this payment?
The eligibility requirements are that your partner must

either:
or
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When your partner died you must have been:
You cannot claim Bereavement Support Payment if you’re in prison.

Martyjay

Jun 7, 2022
The eligibility requirements are that your partner must

either:
or
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
When your partner died you must have been:
You cannot claim Bereavement Support Payment if you’re in prison.
I just realised I missed out the critical ‘or’ in the partner eligibility…

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I Applied for this last month and received the lower payment, which was a godsend. i didn’t know anything about it, but it was in the leaflets I got when I registered my husbands death. I was able to pay off the car loan, and I also get £100 a month for the next 18months. Being on £650 a month, this is a lifeline.