Becoming invisable and no support

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
I read with interest the results of your survey, my wife has mixed dementia we do not get any support from social services, I wasn’t aware they did provide any support If you live in your own home.
Our GP. Is aware of my wife’s dementia but I cannot say they support us in any way regarding her dementia, unfortunately since Covid seeing GP’s has become extremely difficult and trying to get appointments is a nightmare.
Following her initial diagnosis from the memory clinic we have had no other contact from them, that seems to be most people’s experience.
We have found some areas of the NHS do not seem to understand dementia and how to deal with patients or their carers, the worst examples we have experienced is with physiotherapist who have expected patients with dementia experiencing short term memory problems to understand their treatment and remember to do exercises on their own, but do not like their carer to answer and be present. This is our own personal experience. I have also experienced problems with some staff when you explain the person you are looking after has memory problems so can you speak for them they want to speak to them first, if this a phone call they have no way of knowing that they are actually speaking to. In one instance a receptionist insisted on speaking to my wife and arranged an appointment, unfortunately she then ended the call, my wife had forgotten the details of the appointment or even if an appointment had been made. It could be that some dementia patients from initial appearance do not seem to have any problems, they can conduct a good conversation, the fact that they will forget the conversation and the person a short time later is not seen or understood by some individual.
We both arranged lasting powers of attorney, unfortunately some staff do not understand these or choose not to, and on the phone I accept it is difficult to prove you have one in place, based on my experience it is difficult to see the point in them.
My wife’s short term memory can be very bad and she can be confused in unfamiliar places, she also has severe problems with arthritis, I have a blue badge for driving, very occasionally my wife is taken out by one of our family, it would be extremely useful if she had a blue badge for these occasions, I mentioned that to get into and out of the car she needs to open the car door very wide. The assessor appeared to ignore her dementia and dismissed the need to open car doors wide, making disabled parking bays essential, her arthritis requires a need to park close to the destination. The request was refused, the assessor again ignoring or not understanding dementia wanted to know how many pain killers my wife took daily for her arthritis they didn’t understand that a dementia patient would not necessarily take medication, if she complains of pain I will get her to take some pain killers. I think this illustrates the lack of understanding of dementia. A blue badge is sometimes looked at as way to avoid parking fees by some people without disabilities, in most instances most of my parking is at free supermarket car parks. I did appeal but this was ignored.
Since my wife developed dementia most of our family and friends avoid visiting or phoning so there is little support from there, some close members of family now might visit once or twice a year, to a certain extent we have become invisable people, not only to family, friends, neighbours, social services and the health services, this is our reality.
Dementia is a terrible disease and can be a hidden disease with sufferers avoiding contact, not always by choice but unable to mix socially unless carers, family or friends help them to mix.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Unfortunately you are in no way alone. Many of your problems are so common to us all. It took me 5-6 years to get my GP to consider dementia. I was always being told it was because he had had a stroke. No matter how many times I tried to explain it was more, it was like talking to thin air. It wasn't until I got to the point where I'd had enough and said I would leave my OH in their hands, they began to listen and arranged for a dementia appointment.
Social services aren't interested. All I am told is we are self funding so need to if I need respite, sitter, care help etc. I need to arrange it myself.
Blue Badge can be a nightmare as doesn't seem to take into account dementia problems, but you need to keep complaining until they listen, different areas seem to view differently. It really annoys me when you see some with a blue badges. i saw one man the other day. Put up his blue badge on double yellow lines, jump out the car, run up the hill to the bank. Beggars belief how he got one, unless of course he was using someone else's, which also seems to happen.
It really does seem to be different in different parts of the country, Mine is really bad.
All you can do is keep insisting and hope someone eventually listens. The Alzheimer's society is a good start. They can point you to your local support, who may have groups.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @stopwatch48 and welome to Talking Point

Im afraid that there isnt very much in the way of support for people with dementia and, although there is some, there is no "joined up" pathway and mostly you have to look for it yourself.

May I suggest a few starting places?

1 - get a certified copy of the POA round to your GP surgery so that it can go on file. Without anything on file showing that you have permission to talk to the doctors on behalf of your wife, they will always want to talk to her, rather than you.

2 - Contact Social Services for a needs assessment for your wife. Help may consist of carers coming in, day care, respite, or a referral to a dementia hub

3- Find out if there is a local dementia hub near you and, if so, whether they need a referral from a SW. If there is one it can be a wonderful resource. There are usually clubs and sessions suitable for people with dementia, Dementia friendly cafes, hairdressers etc and people who can give carers advice on what help is available and signpost them in the right direction..

4 - Charities like Age UK and Tuvida (Crossroads) can help with befriending/sitting services and Age UK has in many areas a Help at Home scheme for someone to come in regularly to help with housework/laundry/shopping/etc. They charge for this, but at a reduced rate and Tuvida only charge £8 an hour for someone who is getting Local Authority help with care fees.

5 - If you havent applied for Attendance Allowance for your wife, then please do so. It is not means tested. The form is quite complicated, but Age UK will help with filling it in and other agencies like Citizens Advice and Carers organisations will do so too. Once you have AA, your wife can get Council Tax disregard, which if there are only the two of you will give you a 25% reduction.

This is just an outline. There are other things available and if you want more detail on anything, do please just ask
xxx

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting much support, whenever my OH was diagnosed the mental health nurse visited every month for the first year, we also had a visit from a lady from dwp ,she was very helpful...the occupational therapist came to see if we needed any adaptions in our home...we got an extra banister on the stairs, and a raised toilet seat, also a hand grip at the front door. even before my OH was diagnosed, he wanted me to be with him at any gp, or hospital appointments.. because his memory was bad and he could never repeat what the gp or nurse had told him, I explained this when I went with him, and never had a problem...the same with phone calls...he doesn't answer the phone now , if the phone call's for him..I just tell whoever calls that he has dementia, and he can't pass on a message...so I take all his calls...

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Even if you are self funding, social services should be involved. Ultimately it is there responsibility. With my mum I let them manage her care visits. There was a yearly fee but the hourly rate for care was less. Mums care visits were mostly ok, some of them not so good. To some extent you get what you pay for. But one agency said they would have to send carers in pairs as they felt her area was rough so financially it was not an option for us.

The other group to check out is carers trust . They can provide emergency care if something were to happen to you.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
I agree with what you have experienced. I have POA which my dad initiated and arranged himself some years ago but even with that, some departments still forget to send letters and appointments to me and send them to my dad only. We are 500 miles apart so not ideal. Dad loses letters and forgets he even received it. It’s frustrating as I call to make sure they are aware to send any correspondence to me.

Generally though, the POA has made it simple for me in many ways. I keep a certified copy on my computer and just emailed it to all doctors/consultants/bank/mortgage etc etc.

Dad had one scan and diagnosed with Alzheimer’s from that one scan. I’ve never been offered another scan or any other tests. The scan wasn’t even a definitive Alzheimer’s diagnosis. It kind of just indicated results were in line with Alzheimer’s so that’s the label dads been given. His 2 sisters had Alzheimer’s. I read about memory cafes but nobody has ever directed us to one or mentioned them. Not even dementia support. If I’m honest, I’m struggling to work out what the point of social services actually is. Apart from doing assessments, they dint seem to follow through with any support. Dad will be self funding initially.

Everything I say doesn’t help you but it does show you are not alone.

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
Hello @stopwatch48 and welome to Talking Point

Im afraid that there isnt very much in the way of support for people with dementia and, although there is some, there is no "joined up" pathway and mostly you have to look for it yourself.

May I suggest a few starting places?

1 - get a certified copy of the POA round to your GP surgery so that it can go on file. Without anything on file showing that you have permission to talk to the doctors on behalf of your wife, they will always want to talk to her, rather than you.

2 - Contact Social Services for a needs assessment for your wife. Help may consist of carers coming in, day care, respite, or a referral to a dementia hub

3- Find out if there is a local dementia hub near you and, if so, whether they need a referral from a SW. If there is one it can be a wonderful resource. There are usually clubs and sessions suitable for people with dementia, Dementia friendly cafes, hairdressers etc and people who can give carers advice on what help is available and signpost them in the right direction..

4 - Charities like Age UK and Tuvida (Crossroads) can help with befriending/sitting services and Age UK has in many areas a Help at Home scheme for someone to come in regularly to help with housework/laundry/shopping/etc. They charge for this, but at a reduced rate and Tuvida only charge £8 an hour for someone who is getting Local Authority help with care fees.

5 - If you havent applied for Attendance Allowance for your wife, then please do so. It is not means tested. The form is quite complicated, but Age UK will help with filling it in and other agencies like Citizens Advice and Carers organisations will do so too. Once you have AA, your wife can get Council Tax disregard, which if there are only the two of you will give you a 25% reduction.

This is just an outline. There are other things available and if you want more detail on anything, do please just ask
xxx
Thanks for that, I will apply for Attendance Allowance for my wife, I already get it for myself, it isn’t just for the money but it seems to help with some agencies to enable support or help etc if you are getting AA. But I checked on our own councils website and according to their rules we would not be eligible for any discount as we are a married couple living in the same house, not on benefits, this would apply even if one or both of us was receiving AA. We would qualify if another person not a spouse or partner or carer was living in the house in place of one of us. We would also qualify if one of us was in prison, most confusing of all to me was if we was living in the house on our own, singly with severe mental capacity we would also qualify. The rules appear to be designed to prevent most people qualifying or attempting to apply.
My problem with receptionist was not at our GP’s surgery but with various hospita, clinics and dentists, it was where I have experienced problems with LPA’s, this includes physio clinics. To a certain extent dementia is a hidden disease, patients don’t alway present with obvious symptoms and for some people they ‘look’ like there is nothing wrong with them. I was probably as guilty as others before I had hands on experience with my wife, I was fortunate that prior to this I didn’t know any close family members or friends that suffered with dementi.

Trina68

Sep 5, 2020
I read with interest the results of your survey, my wife has mixed dementia we do not get any support from social services, I wasn’t aware they did provide any support If you live in your own home.
Our GP. Is aware of my wife’s dementia but I cannot say they support us in any way regarding her dementia, unfortunately since Covid seeing GP’s has become extremely difficult and trying to get appointments is a nightmare.
Following her initial diagnosis from the memory clinic we have had no other contact from them, that seems to be most people’s experience.
We have found some areas of the NHS do not seem to understand dementia and how to deal with patients or their carers, the worst examples we have experienced is with physiotherapist who have expected patients with dementia experiencing short term memory problems to understand their treatment and remember to do exercises on their own, but do not like their carer to answer and be present. This is our own personal experience. I have also experienced problems with some staff when you explain the person you are looking after has memory problems so can you speak for them they want to speak to them first, if this a phone call they have no way of knowing that they are actually speaking to. In one instance a receptionist insisted on speaking to my wife and arranged an appointment, unfortunately she then ended the call, my wife had forgotten the details of the appointment or even if an appointment had been made. It could be that some dementia patients from initial appearance do not seem to have any problems, they can conduct a good conversation, the fact that they will forget the conversation and the person a short time later is not seen or understood by some individual.
We both arranged lasting powers of attorney, unfortunately some staff do not understand these or choose not to, and on the phone I accept it is difficult to prove you have one in place, based on my experience it is difficult to see the point in them.
My wife’s short term memory can be very bad and she can be confused in unfamiliar places, she also has severe problems with arthritis, I have a blue badge for driving, very occasionally my wife is taken out by one of our family, it would be extremely useful if she had a blue badge for these occasions, I mentioned that to get into and out of the car she needs to open the car door very wide. The assessor appeared to ignore her dementia and dismissed the need to open car doors wide, making disabled parking bays essential, her arthritis requires a need to park close to the destination. The request was refused, the assessor again ignoring or not understanding dementia wanted to know how many pain killers my wife took daily for her arthritis they didn’t understand that a dementia patient would not necessarily take medication, if she complains of pain I will get her to take some pain killers. I think this illustrates the lack of understanding of dementia. A blue badge is sometimes looked at as way to avoid parking fees by some people without disabilities, in most instances most of my parking is at free supermarket car parks. I did appeal but this was ignored.
Since my wife developed dementia most of our family and friends avoid visiting or phoning so there is little support from there, some close members of family now might visit once or twice a year, to a certain extent we have become invisable people, not only to family, friends, neighbours, social services and the health services, this is our reality.
Dementia is a terrible disease and can be a hidden disease with sufferers avoiding contact, not always by choice but unable to mix socially unless carers, family or friends help them to mix.
Well our lives are very similar my husband has vascular dementia it’s a very lonely place being the caregiver I am in touch with our dementia support services in my town also Amargo at my surgery a girl that is extremely helpful to me she has put me in touch with another girl in the organisation who is helping me to get a blue badge for my husband are you in contact with anyone in your area? There is help just need to find the correct people….. 😀

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
But I checked on our own councils website and according to their rules we would not be eligible for any discount as we are a married couple living in the same house, not on benefits, this would apply even if one or both of us was receiving AA.
Its not the discount you want, its the disregard. In order to obtain it you have to have a diagnosis of dementia plus be in receipt of AA, so once your wife gets AA do apply. It is not means tested

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
Its not the discount you want, its the disregard. In order to obtain it you have to have a diagnosis of dementia plus be in receipt of AA, so once your wife gets AA do apply. It is not means tested
This is direct quote from my local councils website
If a person with a severe mental impairment is the sole occupant of a property that they own or have a tenancy agreement for, they can claim an exemption.
Not two points sole occupant, this rules us out, and the word severe, a word that civil servants and local government love, it leaves it wide open to interpretation or misinterpretatio.
I will still apply for Attendance Allowance for her, but it would be interesting to find out what the actual rules are and not the local interpretation as councis seem to interprete or apply different rules, blue badges are a good example.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Have a look at this @stopwatch48

Anyone with a diagnosis of dementia will classify as SMI and, once they have a qualifying benefit - AA is one of them - then they can apply.
Yes, you only get 100% reduction in tax if the person with dementia is the sole occupant, but as there is you plus the person with dementia, then you should get a 25% reduction in Council Tax

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
@stopwatch48 We now get 25% on council tax. Wasn't easy but persevered after reading others on here. So just keep insisting. You'll get it in the end and it is supposed to be back dated. You do need to send a consultants letter confirming dementia

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
@stopwatch48 We now get 25% on council tax. Wasn't easy but persevered after reading others on here. So just keep insisting. You'll get it in the end and it is supposed to be back dated. You do need to send a consultants letter confirming dementia
Thanks for that, I am apply for Attendance Allowance first, once that’s been approved will speak to the council, not going to hold my breath.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am apply for Attendance Allowance first
Do get someone like Age UK, a carers organisation, or Citizens Advice to help you fill it in. It quite lengthy and complex and very easy to downplay the person with dementias needs. When I filled it in for mum I was told (by DWP, no less!) to fill it in assuming it was the worst day from hell, that different people would be be reading each question and to fill in every box with examples of their difficulties.

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
Do get someone like Age UK, a carers organisation, or Citizens Advice to help you fill it in. It quite lengthy and complex and very easy to downplay the person with dementias needs. When I filled it in for mum I was told (by DWP, no less!) to fill it in assuming it was the worst day from hell, that different people would be be reading each question and to fill in every box with examples of their difficulties.
Thanks for that

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting much support, whenever my OH was diagnosed the mental health nurse visited every month for the first year, we also had a visit from a lady from dwp ,she was very helpful...the occupational therapist came to see if we needed any adaptions in our home...we got an extra banister on the stairs, and a raised toilet seat, also a hand grip at the front door. even before my OH was diagnosed, he wanted me to be with him at any gp, or hospital appointments.. because his memory was bad and he could never repeat what the gp or nurse had told him, I explained this when I went with him, and never had a problem...the same with phone calls...he doesn't answer the phone now , if the phone call's for him..I just tell whoever calls that he has dementia, and he can't pass on a message...so I take all his calls...
that is amazing. we do not have half as much support like you have. I did start banging on doors, and it does bring some results. you do not ask you do not get, but some areas seem to be more dementia aware. Age UK is my champion, as well as Citizen Advice bureau

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie