Bank accounts

Blackcat66

Apr 24, 2024
My mother in law will be going into a care home and will need self fund for a few months until she reaches 23K, my father in law has access to the joint accounts where it looks like he can use her 50 % to pay the self funded payment, will he need to pay out 4k to get deputyship for the sole account which has a small amount of cash in and not needed for the self funding as would end up being part of the 23k.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As far as I understand it someone with a Power of Attorney or deputyship can recover expenses, the 4k you mention is an expense she incurred to get a deputy not one father in law incurred becoming one, so she pays.
That is how I understand it to be, others will comment and correct if I'm wrong. K

backin

Feb 6, 2024
If there's only a small amount , why not just leave it untouched. It just means a little more will come out of joint account, to the amount in the sole account?

Blackcat66

Apr 24, 2024
I was thinking he should leave the small amount in the sole account and count it towards the 23k that the care home cannot count. It will pass to the father in law one day or the daughters, 4 k would be half of what is in the account

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
I was thinking he should leave the small amount in the sole account and count it towards the 23k that the care home cannot count. It will pass to the father in law one day or the daughters, 4 k would be half of what is in the account
Not sure if it's relevant but once your MIL gets below £23,250 it doesn't mean she won't be expected to contribute. As I understand it the amount she'll contribute will be on a sliding scale with it becoming less as she nears the £14,250 lower limit. I think that's the point where she stops contributing?

What I know about this area of funding you can write on the back of a match box so apologies if I've misunderstood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Not sure if it's relevant but once your MIL gets below £23,250 it doesn't mean she won't be expected to contribute. As I understand it the amount she'll contribute will be on a sliding scale with it becoming less as she nears the £14,250 lower limit. I think that's the point where she stops contributing?

What I know about this area of funding you can write on the back of a match box so apologies if I've misunderstood.
That’s right, then when below the final limit she will still have to use any income towards her fees, less about £30p.w. for personal expenses.

Blackcat66

Apr 24, 2024
Thanks for your reply, this is helpful and backs up what I've been told.

The question is do I need to pay out 4k to deputyship to access the sole account or would it be better to leave it and call it part of the £14.250

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I agree with backin, leave it, let it go, CoP is a nightmare from many things I've read on here (no personal experience) with a 4k check in charge for deputyship is outrageous, but it.
Is what it is, UK England rules anyway.
Phone the AZ helpline on here where you can talk more freely about your exact circumstances. K

Blackcat66

Apr 24, 2024
I agree with backin, leave it, let it go, CoP is a nightmare from many things I've read on here (no personal experience) with a 4k check in charge for deputyship is outrageous, but it.
Is what it is, UK England rules anyway.
Phone the AZ helpline on here where you can talk more freely about your exact circumstances. K
Thanks for your reply, I have had some great advise and now have a better understanding, I will call AZ tomorrow