Back in the high life again

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
A cycle ride in lovely scenery (but awful weather), a warm and welcoming hotel, a meal in an Indian restaurant and a Talisker whisky before bed. This respite is reminding me of how things used to be but for the fact that I am on my own and missing my wife as she used to be before dementia.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sure you’re missing your wife but it’s good to hear you had a fine time. Nothing like a wee dram of Talisker before bed. I hope you sleep well.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I may not do this again. It makes me want to cry. Sorry

Hello and welcome to Talking Point. I’m glad you’ve found the forum. Please stick with us. You’ll get a lot of help and suppprt here.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
There is nothing wrong with crying, it is upsetting but helps in the long run.
We all struggle to put on a brave face on here we all understand, we can let things flow in a safe way.
We also find the humour and share helpful information. Do stay a while longer, it may help more than you can imagine.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hetllo @Grkis10
a warm welcome to TP
I hope you see that we have seen your post and are here to chat

it can feel overwhelming reading all the situations folk here face when you first find the forum
there are many sad posts - there are also those that are funny and inspiring and full of useful suggestions

maybe, as some members do, begin a thread of your own and use it as a kind of journal or sounding board, folk will pop in and leave messages and you need read no other threads unless you so wish
this would be a relevant forum
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-have-a-partner-with-dementia.69/

you could use the tea room if you want only members to be able to read your posts, here
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/tea-room.44/

and hi @northumbrian_k
good to read you had an enjoyable day, though I appreciate the bitter-sweet feel of it - as for the Talisker, well, a little of what you fancy does no harm .... hope you sleep well

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
@northumbrian_k
So, glad about your good times. That you are enjoying yourself, and of course, there will always be that bittersweetness to our happy times, that our spouse is not present (physically or mentally) to participate. But we must live our lives, and experience joy and happiness. Thanks for sharing.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Agree with all above. It’s so hard not to think that what might be the last time (or what’s ahead),

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Not been on here for a while but read this post and then read your previous post about your feelings in preparation for your break.
I understand it must be bittersweet in enjoying something that previously the two of you would have enjoyed but if you were in each other's shoes I am sure you would have wanted your wife to do exactly the same for herself.
It is so important to have a break every so often to remind ourselves that we are individuals who still have wishes we want to fulfill- a few days away is not a lot to ask.
Steve Winwood was right!

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Please post again! We all share your feelings sometimes but there is comfort in knowing that you are not the only one and you always know someone is reading and responding. The alternative is to not share and carry all those feelings in you on your own and no one can do that long term.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Northumbrian_K, can I just add your mixed feelings are the same as I had on recent couple of days hiking trip to Exmoor, but it was worth going.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
A cycle ride in lovely scenery (but awful weather), a warm and welcoming hotel, a meal in an Indian restaurant and a Talisker whisky before bed. This respite is reminding me of how things used to be but for the fact that I am on my own and missing my wife as she used to be before dementia.
How things used to be - I have been on a couple of very short coach trips ( we have no car) and felt like Billy No Mates, having been used to having OH with me.
Last weekend my daughter came with me - and that made a HUGE difference. Bless her heart. I hope we can do it again, but she has 2 little people who missed her.
A cycle ride in lovelys scenery, and all the things you describe - you deserve every minute of pleasure that you can get away from this awful disease...

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl