Assessment centre for the 4rth time

Clarecasey

May 2, 2024
Hi,
I have never joined a dementia group before so i think this will be valuable for me and what we are going through with mom.. Mom has had dementia for 8 years, In the last 7 months she has spent long periods of stays in hospitals ,and in all the hospitals based in Birmingham. Mom has been sent to 3 assessment centres and on 2 of them she has been sent back to hospital within 4 days of being there. We want mom to go into a nursing home near us, doctors and staff agree she is nursing, but social services want to send her again to another assessment centre for the 4th time and I have written detailed comprehensive emails to the hospital based social worker explaining that this is not helping my mom. They have insisted that this is their procedure and mom must go into another assessment area before any funding can be provided for nursing. I want to know if there is anything we can do , who can we go to next to stop this from happening?, who can i email who has some influence .Mom has complex health needs and in her previous assessment centre we raised a safe guarding complaint, she will NOT be sent back there but we want her in a nursing home near us. I have spoken to doctors, registra PALS who deal with complaints or help if you require assistance. I have even asked to read the hospitals discharge letter before discharge and sent an email asking for more information to be added as the discharge letters are so vague, it needed to be more detailed and comprehensive .

Over the last 7 months mom has been in hospital about 10 times, and has stayed there for 39 days, 29 days, 15 days, 7 days etc then sent to assessment centres .The hospitals and assessment centres are never local to where we live so that is added pressure on us as we see mom everyday .She cannot cope with another unfamiliar place, we do not know how long mom has left and i feel she is going to die in another assessment centre , there is no quality of time with her other than in a hospital or centres she needs to be settled. Social services are saying that they cannot do anything to help stop this .
Despite pleading our case and writing emails about the stress for mom and us as a family they are not able to help
There must be lots of families going through the same thing.
Please help , any advice would be greatly appreciated

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Clarecasey I hope being here will be helpful for you.

Your concerns are complex and I think you would be best served by the Helpline.