Are we heading towards the end?

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I have only posted once before, a few weeks ago, to say hello - thankyou to those who replied :)
Things have changed a lot in last few weeks. In October/November, Dad was in respite due to his full time carer (Mum) needing a small op. She was beginning to consider making it a permanent arrangement as she was struggling with the physical elements of moving him as well as his challenging and unpredictable bouts of aggression. He was relatively settled there (we think, he has v little speech). Anyway, he was on a watch and see as it was felt that he may need EMI nursing due to complexity, unpredictability etc. Early December he was admitted to hospital with what turned out to be an infection which was cleared within 3 days and he was pronounced medically fit. When the hospital contacted the care home re taking him back there, they dropped the bmbshell that they didn't feel they wanted him back. He was 5 days in hospital at this point, had been independently mobilizing and eating although needed supervision due to a tendency to move things around and to react aggressively without warning. We then waited until 22 December for a D2A bed. During this time, he was left in bed on a surgial ward as he was too much work for the nurses and he became very lethargic and sleepy, alternating with immense agitation. On 22 Dec, withing 4 hours of arriving at D2A placement, he collapsed with critically low blood pressure and was unresponsive. Mum was there and was able to follow the ambulance to our local hospital. Turns out that while in the bigger hospital, he had become very very severely dehydrated!!!!!! (another issue which is in hand with PALS) Had to begin the process all over again and was noticeably declining mentally and physically. Fast forward to now, back in D2A where he went on 1 Jan, he is literally either asleep, or writhing around like a baby in his cot bed, cycling his legs and just working his way up and down the bed. It made me think of a beetle on his back who can't get up. They had a flu outbreak so no physios etc been going in and basically he has had no therapeutic input of note since 5 December. He now can hardly swallow, has lost any remaining speech, and can barely walk a few steps with 2 carers supporting him. He isn't eating much and falls asleep whilst being helped to eat. He is terribly agitated but doesn't seem 'upset' as such. He's really not with it at all and cannot engage apart from grabbing anything at all that might help him sit up. But if we sit him up, he wriggles back down!
I really don't think much will improve now. He has not been 'medically' sick since 7th/8th December, but being left in hospital in an inappropriate setting had made him decline so quickly dementia wise.
It just feels like he has gone. He doesn't recognise me or mum. He has no sensory stimulation or daytime 'community' time as seems too weak to sit in a chair for more than a few minutes. The staff are amazing, nothing is too much trouble and they are so calm and kind , and very very on the ball with recording everything. They are first and foremost an assessment centre and don't have permanent residents.
They say he may need to remain there another 4 weeks in order to get full picture. I partly agree because, if he does get mobile again, they are likely to see much more in terms of challenging behaviour. At the moment he punches and grabs over personal care which has been a trigger for a long time.
But we also want him somewhere permanent - he's been a bit like an unclaimed parcel since 5 December - and this is just too much for Mum to bear.
Would it be reasonable of me to ask the home manager if she can fast track everything to get him into a permanent placement?? How do we know if he might be in his last few months?
He is 84 and has had Alzheimers for at least 7 years that we know of, the last 8 months severe/late stage with double incontinence, no speech, limited understanding/hallucinating/aggressive/unpredictable/mobile but difficulty getting up/ needed a lot of help to eat etc.
I'm so sorry for such a long rant - it feels like a heavy load right now. I'm Mum's support network, I'm dealing with all the paperwork and bureacracy, worried sick about my Dad fading every time \I see him.... I also have MS and ridiculous fatigue!!
But poor Dad..... floating around 'the system' since beginning of December, and possibly until middle of Feb :(

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sonya1 so sorry to hear about your dad and his decline whilst in hospital. We experienced similar with mum a few years ago when her care home wouldn't take her back and she ended staying in hospital for 3 months whilst health and social care were apparently discussing which of them would pay for her care on discharge. She too was also dehydrated on leaving the hospital, and was then placed in a care home for assessment where she was subject to neglect :( It's good that the staff at your dad's assessment centre are kind and are also keeping accurate records as it's important that a thorough assessment of his needs takes place. I can understand you wanting a permanent placement to be found for your dad but it sounds like it might be better for him to stay a little longer at the assessment centre, as the care home manager has suggested, to make sure that the environment he is permanently placed in is the right one and can meet his long term needs rather than him having to be moved again. An infection and hospital admission can cause a big decline but we found that there were some improvements in mum once she was placed in a better environment and received better care. Does your dad have a social worker? If so it might be worth discussing the situation with them as there are care homes that are able to manage residents who require different levels of care, including nursing, EMI etc so they might be able to at least start looking for a permanent placement now rather than wait for further assessment (assuming that your dad is not self-funding?). HopefulIy your dad will be placed somewhere where he won't need to be moved again. I hope this helps a little, and as someone who also suffers from bad fatigue I understand how difficult it is dealing with the social care system when you have health problems yourself. Please don't feel that you have to apologise for having a rant - it helps, that's what the forum is for, and you will also find others here who understand.

Julie252

Jul 31, 2021
Hi @Sonia1. Sorry to hear that you're living the upset and heartbreak that dementia brings with it. To cut a long story short my mum has been bed bound since last April, doubly incontinent, eating very little but drinking more. I visit everywhere day but am met with blank stares. Mum sleeps more than ever. Interestingly you could be describing my mum when you mention the cycling legs, turning and up and down the bed, grabbing to pull herself up and when sitting her up using the constant leg movements to end ip back down the bed. All the staff have commented to me about the legs and the cycling movements as they've not had anyone before presenting in that way. I haven't managed to solve the cause of it but the doctor thinks it's anxiety
..I'm not so sure....baby in a cot sums it up. Thank you for sharing..

MFJ

Jun 7, 2022
Hi
Sorry to hear about your situation - I’m going through something similar. My dad is under a section in a mental health ward but he too was severely dehydrated and was admitted to A & E on Friday and is now on a ward being treated for that and acute kidney injury.
We are waiting for a place at a a local home within an EMI unit but they have had an out break of covid since Xmas and aren’t taking on new patients .
My dad doesn’t communicate, hallucinates and has challenging and aggressive behaviour so is heavily medicated to ensure he is manageable .
I am expecting him to be discharged back to his mental health ward once he regains mobility and starts to eat/ drink and the cycle will continue .
It’s so hard and totally sympathise with what you are going through .
Take care x

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sad to read of your Dad's situation, can't say anything that will be helpful to your situation, I would certainly have a word with the manager - you have nothing to lose at this stage.
Take care x

Julie May

Jan 15, 2023
I can understand what you are going through. My dad didn't have dementia but went into hospital, he caught covid, visiting him, I caught covid and unwittingly gave it to Mum. So I had both of them in hospital. Dad died and after 2 months, I finally brought Mum home.
Mum's dementia worsened in hospital. The easy way to treat a person with dementia is to leave them in bed with a nappy on, let them become immobile and incontinent then leave the consequences of that for someone else to deal with. I fought a daily battle with the hospital for 2 months. They were glad to get rid of her so they wouldn't have to put up with me,asking awkward questions about medication. I've now had to request her records so that we can find out what she was given. I had to deal with the fall out of withdrawal symptoms. The social worker, GP and PALS were disgusted when I told them about what went on in the ward. I staged a sit in at one point because no one would communicate with me even though I have POA. I don't like confrontation and felt sick with anxiety every day, twice a day for 2 months. Now I have to go through the legal services, I feel like it's never ending.
Physically, Mum is well, just arthritis and altzheimers. Out social worker is very good and Age UK have been supportive but you have to constantly pester to get help. The latest is that the Dwp won't accept the POA form as a legal document. So tomorrow my job is to email my MP copying in the office of the public guardian, the council and the DWP. All I want is to look after my Mum for the time she has left and all I am doing is battling bureaucracy.