Are blackouts/seizures a characterisitic of Alzheimer's?

Blods5

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone might be able to help. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in June, and prior to the diagnosis she was often having what can only be described as blackout/seizure type of episodes. Following the diagnosis, she hasn't had one of these episodes...until this afternoon. The usual unfolding of these episodes involves Mum sitting in her friend's house having food/cuppa and a chat when she suddenly stops talking, her head moving back and forth and a fixed stare. Today's epsiode lasted for about 15 minutes. She has previously been admitted to hopsital as a result of this, and the ambulance was called again today. All tests/scans have shown nothing. Following an episode, Mum has no recollection of what has happened and almost immediately returns to her 'usual' self. Of course, my sister and I are only aware of these episodes because of my Mum's friend's description of them. We do wonder how frequently they're happening, as Mum doesn't ever recall what has happened. Has anybody else had this or a similar experience? My sister and I feel that although these episodes are very real, nothing is being/can be done to diagnose/resolve them, and nobody can tell us whether they're linked to the Alzheimer's. Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this.

BR_ANA

I would talk with her GP about some neurological problem. The blackout seems more Convulsions or epilepsy than Alzheimer

Blods5

Thank you for your comment. I've been looking into epilepsy and Alzheimer's and was surprised to find so much has been written about it. I'm really annoyed that no doctor has even mentioned epilepsy as a possibility. I'm going to find out about a referral for my mum to see a neurologist. Thanks again:)

nicoise

It sounds a bit like an absence seizure, which you've probably come across in your internet searching about epilepsy.

My mum used to have TIAs, a type of mini stroke, which also caused a brief "absence" which then passed, although returning to her normal afterwards took some time, and not always back to the way she had been before.

It's a bit of a moot point as to whether it is a characteristic of dementia, as in what comes first? Whether the events cause neurological changes, or whether neurological changes cause the events....

But definitely worth looking into as medication may well help your mother.

I'm afraid also that as you are finding, we often have to drive action to be given help and get information ourselves, it doesn't seem to be offered very much. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Blods5

That's very helpful, thank you. Your last point is so very true - it's such a lonely place to find yourself without any forthcoming advice/guidance/offers of help from the professionals.

nicoise

As many of us here have found, TP and the AZ website in general are very good sources of support and information, and sadly we seem to sometimes be educating the medics etc in dementia and all its peculiarities!

I hope now you've found TP you feel a little less on your own now - there are people around at all hours of the day and night whatever is going on in your life, and someone who will know what you're going through. ;)