Applying for attendance allowance

JaneJ68

Aug 7, 2022
Hi all, myself and my brother are currently helping dad complete attendance allowance application for mum, who has dementia. Although she is only just in the process of being formally diagnosed she is already at middle stage ( they’ve been struggling for some time but not wanted to seek help or admit what’s happening 😔 ) and has delusions and rarely leaves the house. Mum and dad have only ever had separate bank accounts. I understand the attendance allowance would be paid into mums account- will dad be allowed to withdraw it without POA? (He knows all her account details, they’ve just always had separate accounts) She won’t go to the bank to set up a joint account, can he do this on his own given her condition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
It will be paid into the same account as she gets her state pension. Ideally he should get PoA, set up a third party arrangement or turn the account into a joint account. PoA is not that tricky to set up and can be done online, however I would say the easiest thing to do is set up a joint account if your mum is willing. If it comes to being assessed for social care then if the account is a joint account only half of it will be taken into consideration. Accessing someone's bank account and withdrawing money (no matter how well intended) unless you have one of the above could raise lots of questions.

JaneJ68

Aug 7, 2022
It will be paid into the same account as she gets her state pension. Ideally he should get PoA, set up a third party arrangement or turn the account into a joint account. PoA is not that tricky to set up and can be done online, however I would say the easiest thing to do is set up a joint account if your mum is willing. If it comes to being assessed for social care then if the account is a joint account only half of it will be taken into consideration. Accessing someone's bank account and withdrawing money (no matter how well intended) unless you have one of the above could raise lots of questions.
Thank you for that. Unfortunately I think we are already past the point of mum having sufficient capacity to understand POA, as she doesn’t even have formal diagnosis yet due to long waiting lists for memory assessment service locally. Also Dad is very very cautious about everything, understandably as we’ve had many aggressive and emotional outbursts from mum about plotting behind her back etc. Have just discovered they do have a joint savings account so am hoping we can use that one for them

steve333

Jan 12, 2024
If your Mum does not have the capacity to appoint LPA, then someone needs to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship, but this can take months. The Court can appoint a panel deputy if Social Services certify she does not have capacity but your Mum will be liable for their costs