Anyone with suspected dementia’s symptoms improved after coming out of hospital?

Loulou56

Oct 19, 2023
Hi
My Dad (78) is currently in hospital after potential UTI but they’re referring him to a memory clinic on discharge. We’ve known for a while that there are signs but felt that knowing would be futile, as the drugs only mask symptoms and doesn’t slow any disease progression. His confusion and mobility got rapidly worse (hence the hospital admission). His medication has ended but he’s still confused and sleepy. Some days are better than others.
I genuinely feel that him being in hospital is not helping at all. At home, he does manage to do basic tasks normally, like making basic food for himself, keeping himself clean etc but my brother and I help him with any admin and lifts everywhere as he doesn’t drive.
Has anyone experienced this where when away from their own home and weekly routine (coffee mornings in Dad’s case) that their symptoms are a lot worse, but improve when they’re home again?

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Hi Loulou56,
When I worked in Scotland’s NHS, it was not unusual for elderly patients who returned home after a stay in hospital, did improve compared to how they were in hospital and immediately after leaving, provided they had a carer or carers while at home, and there was decent back-up and support as necessary for the ex-patient and the carers. The memory and other symptoms, like confusion, will need monitoring, out-patient, or day-patient oversight, help and treatment. This often requires an advanced care programme by medical and social services and the voluntary community sector.
Kindest regards,
Yours sincerely,
David Joseph

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was like your dad and could look after himself with a bit of help from me so we muddled along quite nicely for a while. He had a hospital admission which I won't go into but it was all pretty horrendous. His dementia worsened rapidly while in there along with his mobility and to be honest he should have been released to a care home but he went back to his own home. He was by then in a wheelchair and didn't know where he was. He should have had an advanced care plan but instead he had me.

He did improve greatly over time, I got him up and walking, I even got him back to his original weight but he was never able to make a cup of tea again, he couldn't even find his kitchen. He couldn't be left alone after this so I had to move in with him 24/7 which was very hard for me and my family. Your dad may not have such a rapid decline and only you can judge how bad it is but I would think very carefully before you have him back at home without some kind of assessment and a proper care plan.

Wishing you and your dad well.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head