Any advice on using a Personal Assistant to care for my wife?

Hubbie

Jan 1, 2022
I am hoping to get a Personal Assistant fairly soon who will provide companionship for my wife one day each week so that I get a break. I understand if I use an individual rather than a care company it comes with some employers responsibilities. On my County Council's website it suggests the following>
We encourage employers to seek a minimum of two references from a PA and ask for proof of:
right to work in the UK
any relevant training and qualifications
HMRC confirmation of registration as self-employed
proof of liability insurance if the worker is self-employed
a current DBS check

Do all the above seem sensible and does anyone have any other suggestions or advice that might be helpful?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I suggest you`d be better served with an agency carer @Hubbie , if you can get one. This way there will be cover for sick leave and holidays.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I agree with Grannie G, dealing with an agency would be much better for you, including insurance etc. they would cover any sick or holiday days. It might be slightly more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
We had a pa for a few months before my wife went into residential care. My wife was eligible for local authority support and we opted for direct payment rather than have the local authority make the arrangements directly. We used a local "direct payment support organisation" who took care of all the employer responsibilities. The pa was employed Mon-Fri with an agency covering the weekends. The fee for the service was quite reasonable at the time and it gave us control of the timings/lengths of visits and the choice of the pa.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had what sounds the same as @Andy54

I was granted Direct Payments and allowed to select my own agency.
The manager of the agency spent two hours with me while I told her what I needed.

We had the same carer for two hours every day and the money was put into a special account for me to pay the carer. The carer came to ‘do my housework’ to give me more quality time with my husband.
While she was working , I went to do my shopping While my husband stayed at home to make sure she did everything properly.

This was what was agreed between us and no one took offence.

The beauty of this is , as my husband’s condition deteriorated, I was able to ask for extra time and additional payments. This allowed half an hour morning and evening to help bathing, washing and dressing.