Another care home question.

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Forgive me if I've asked this already - but what's the process for care home waiting lists?

Specifically Scotland. I've been going around in circles for nearly 6 months now.

Social worker finally awaiting management approval for finances.
Care homes chosen.
Social worker advised me to contact them and tell the homes that funding will be coming and to be added to the waiting list.
Homes reply back - no space. Contact social worker and tell HER to request a name be put on the waiting list.
Tell social worker - she says, they should put you on the waiting list which is very long.
She also says that they should let me see the rooms/places if I'm taking them into consideration.
Homes reply, no. Not until we have space.

Others have suggested speaking with social worker. Which I have but she always pushes me back to speak to the homes. Homes just care about the money and funding, I get it. But are they really not going to let me see the rooms until one becomes available?
Not sure what's going on here.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I was a carer for my (now late) and when I became ill social services found a place for her in no time, they funded her care so I've got nothing much negative to say about them.
In the city I live in England they seem to outperform the curve as they say.
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
TBH, if they have no vacant rooms I can understand why the care home would be happy to show you communal areas, but not the individual rooms, because its actually someones living area. I wouldnt have wanted strangers being shown around my mums room when she was living there.

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Could you perhaps arrange a 3-way call between the home, you and social worker so you can get to the bottom of it all?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Not all rooms will be the same, ome maybe large, some smaller. ome up the end of a quiet corner, some nearer the communial rooms .Some will have ensuite, some not etc etc

When its your turn, they will show you what they have.

Whilst my was resident I wouldnt have wanted anyone being shown her room either
basically a room only become availible when someone dies ( brutl but true) so who knows how long the wait will be? If the lit is long it will be a fair wait...by which time, havig taken the troube to show you a room ( as you'd hoped) your mum will be settled elsewhere

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Local Authority rates and privately funded care sometimes can be very different, so a "bulk purchaser" like an LA gets a better rate than one off purchase privately funded payer.
Simple economics, does that mean self funders subsidie the LA funded...you decide.
K

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
TBH, if they have no vacant rooms I can understand why the care home would be happy to show you communal areas, but not the individual rooms, because its actually someones living area. I wouldnt have wanted strangers being shown around my mums room when she was living there.
OK, that makes sense.
Don't show me a room but how about the home itself?
Apparently when a room does become available, it's a rush rush let's get this done. Plus they rush to do an assessment. And then they decide whether they're going to accept her.

I suppose I'm all for preparing. Since I live on the other side of the world, having to come back within a couple of days is going to be quite difficult.

So I don't know if it's going to be a case of we have a room! Oh you're not here tomorrow, then we're giving it to someone else😬

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Could you perhaps arrange a 3-way call between the home, you and social worker so you can get to the bottom of it all?
I think I have to.
The social worker is really great, I mean in trying to get funding and helping me maneuver through that.

But it seems when I try to get her Involved with care homes and trying to figure out the logistics, it gets sticky.

But I'll do that, thank you.