Angry outbursts

BuspassBill

Feb 27, 2024
Can someone explain why my partner can be off the scale angry, say hurtful and rude things then be back to normal the next day? What’s happening physiologically with someone who has vascular dementia?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sad to say it's part of the illness @BuspassBill

Carers feel they are treading on eggshells when this happens and I doubt there are many on this forum who have not experienced it.

This link may help you understand.

If you scroll down you will see;

Changes in mood​

Changes in behaviour​

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @BuspassBill , My mother with vascular dementia quite often had these meltdowns. It seemed to be linked to her thinking something or someone had deliberately done something to annoy or thwart her. It was also more likely to happen if her routine had been disrupted or she hadn't eaten and drunk enough.

I don't think mum's GP's surgery believed me until one day when mum thought the surgery had deliberately mixed up her medication. The receptionist that phoned me about her meltdown sounded very scared, though I don't think mum would actually hurt anyone. Her shouting and ranting was difficult to hear though and it left me and anyone else on the end of it feeling like a wet rag. The next day, as you say, all would have been forgotten and she was back to her usually self. I found it harder to recover.

BuspassBill

Feb 27, 2024
Hi @BuspassBill , My mother with vascular dementia quite often had these meltdowns. It seemed to be linked to her thinking something or someone had deliberately done something to annoy or thwart her. It was also more likely to happen if her routine had been disrupted or she hadn't eaten and drunk enough.

I don't think mum's GP's surgery believed me until one day when mum thought the surgery had deliberately mixed up her medication. The receptionist that phoned me about her meltdown sounded very scared, though I don't think mum would actually hurt anyone. Her shouting and ranting was difficult to hear though and it left me and anyone else on the end of it feeling like a wet rag. The next day, as you say, all would have been forgotten and she was back to her usually self. I found it harder to recover.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have recently found it quite frightening as the outbursts are more frequent and intense. We have had some work on the house done so I’m hoping once the house gets done, the outburst will settle down. Like you, I find it hard to recover because of many mixed emotions.