An app to help people cope with dementia

cman

OK, I'm in the design stages of the app now. This is what I have so far (I hope it's easy to follow):

There will be 3 screens; Guides, Reminders and Settings.

Guides

There will be a list of guides the user can choose from. If you click into a guide (e.g. Night Time) it will show you a list of task that you can check off e.g.
  1. Lock all doors
  2. Turn off plugs
  3. Charge iPhone
When you check something off, it will grey out. Thats basically all guides will do for now. You can't edit or delete them from this screen.

Reminders

This will be a list reminders for today only (sorted by time). Once you click into a certain reminder it will show the time and details of that reminder. There will also be a button that will say "Play". This will be a pre-recorded message created by a carer or family member (or themselves).

Settings

This is basically just the set-up page. Anyone can go here to edit or add guides and reminders (and record messages).

And so far that's it. I will be meeting with professionals soon hopefully so this may be refined a lot (maybe to tailor this to the carer more).

I still can't believe how many people has seen this and posted here. This really is a great community! Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated as well as constructive feedback :)

Cormac

creativesarah

good luck

Its great cormac that you are keen to develop a health app

If i could afford an iphone I for one would think its a great idea

at the moment i suffer from Mild cognitive impairment and at this stage
i can use a phone and computer and go for a phone that will keep my brain active and challenged as part of my fight!!

have you seen the Georgie App a blind friend of mine was involved in the development of it I thought there were some functions that might be useful on it for dementia sufferers

will you include a tracking device in it that could be useful

http://youtu.be/9yrCQbu-Qcg

Good luck

Sarah

cman

Its great cormac that you are keen to develop a health app

will you include a tracking device in it that could be useful

Thanks for your post Sarah. I have looked at the Georgie App and it looks very impressive. I will look into including a tracking device in my app but right now it may be a bit challenging for myself.

Could I ask for some feedback on a part of my design? I have 2 ways to show the user tasks to completed and am unsure as to which approach would be best.

1st way; the user checks off tasks as they do them (with a checkbox) and then they click done (only when all tasks have been checked).

2nd way; one task will show up at a time, and when the user has finished that task they click done, until all tasks have been completed.

I have attached the 2 images as I cannot post links for now. I would greatly appreciate feedback on this.

All the best,
Cormac

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 09 2.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 09 2.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 522
  • Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 09 3.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 09 3.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 500

jeany123

For the carer the first one would probably be fine but for the sufferer one thing at a time would be better for most people, well done so far ,

Good luck,

Jeany

creativesarah

I went to the Alz Soc HQ to attend their user group meeting and I told them about your app we all thought it is a brilliant idea!

so go for it
I agree one thing at a time would be better probably
I have difficulty with executive function eg I find it hard to follow a recipe and if someone comes into the kitchen and asks me a question I often lose the thread completely of where I have got to in the process

much support

Sarah

creativesarah

will the app be available on android as well as iphone?

I havnt got either but i think i can put some apps on my phone

CollegeGirl

Hi Cormac/Cman (have you changed your name?)

I like the one-task-at-a-time screen, where presumably the task disappears once "done" has been clicked? A sufferer may forget what they are supposed to be doing midway while completing a task (several doors to lock for example), and if they look down at their phone/ipad they will be reminded of that one task whereas the list may confuse them (what does the tick mean? Does that mean I've done it, or it's still to be done? etc). Of course this is if they can remember to look down at their phone, or don't put it down in the meantime.

Once all tasks are completed, a message popping up saying something like "Everything is done, now you can go to bed" or whatever, something reassuring - even a recorded familiar voice? - would be good, nothing too officious or formal. But I'm sure you've thought of that already.

I think there will be lots of pitfalls (will you, for example, have to do a screen for every individual window and door to be shut/locked rather than saying "lock all doors" for the reason above), but that's no reason not to continue to develop your idea because I'm certain it will help some people, and certainly carers could benefit. Not everyone by all means, but some of us, I'm sure, will be helped by something like this in the future.

I agree with you that simplicity absolutely vital.

Wishing you every success, I think what you're doing is great, and very exciting. Keep up the good work!

2jays

I will try and meet with a professional in this area that can help develop my idea

I haven't read all the posts yet, and sorry if I am repeating what someone else has said, but could I ask you to also or even instead of a proffessional consult with a willing person who has lived/ is living with Dementia

I also think you should copyright the idea, even if you don't want to, someone else might profit from it especially as its isn't copyrighted .

Last edited:

cman

For the carer the first one would probably be fine but for the sufferer one thing at a time would be better for most people, well done so far

Thanks Jeany :)

I went to the Alz Soc HQ to attend their user group meeting and I told them about your app we all thought it is a brilliant idea!

Thanks for the support Sarah, I was delighted to read this! I hope it can be helpful enough for you :).

At the minute I am only making it for the iPhone and iPod Touch but if there is demand for it I may make an android version.

Hi Cormac/Cman (have you changed your name?)

I like the one-task-at-a-time screen, where presumably the task disappears once "done" has been clicked?

Once all tasks are completed, a message popping up saying something like "Everything is done, now you can go to bed" or whatever, something reassuring - even a recorded familiar voice? - would be good, nothing too officious or formal. But I'm sure you've thought of that already.

I think there will be lots of pitfalls (will you, for example, have to do a screen for every individual window and door to be shut/locked rather than saying "lock all doors" for the reason above?).

Wishing you every success, I think what you're doing is great, and very exciting. Keep up the good work!

Nope, always been Cormac :)
Yes, the task will disappear once "done" has been clicked, and the next task will be shown (if there is any).
I did have it so a generic message pops up but I like the idea that it can be custom or have a voice recording so I will look into that, thanks.
The "Lock all doors" was an example that I entered in, this can be easily changed by a carer to say "Lock front door" and then the next task to be "Lock back door" etc.
Thank you for the comment :).

I haven't read all the posts yet, and sorry if I am repeating what someone else has said, but could I ask you to also or even instead of a proffessional consult with a willing person who has lived/ is living with Dementia

I also think you should copyright the idea, even if you don't want to, someone else might profit from it especially as its isn't copyrighted .

Thanks, I will look into this. Copyrighting an idea costs but I will see.

cman

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been updating recently, I have been busy getting back to uni. But the app is now released, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here but if you search memorymanager (without the space) you will find it on the app store for free. Also there is a facebook page if you want to find out any more info on it :) thus username is memorymanager1.

I just want to thank you all for your feedback also, the app certainly wouldn't be what it is without it. It mightn't be the most suitable tool for someone with Dementia but I hope it can help a few people. Also feedback is always welcome at on facebook.

Thanks,
Cormac

creativesarah

I was only wondering yesterday how you were getting on with and hey presto!!

will look on facebook!

Is it still iphone ipad only?

cman

Thanks creativesarah. Unfortunately I think it's only iPhone (unsure if it will work on iPad). If I get users tell me that it does help them in some way then I will certainly look into making it for android, it just would take some time (especially since I'm back at uni now).

SamanthaJ

Would love to connect on your current project.

Hi Cormac,

I would love to connect sometime about the application that you are building.
I am building an application for Alzheimer's, specifically for caregiver's that are effected. Would love to talk more about how we could collaborate.:)

Samantha

Last edited by a moderator:

Jancis

I've only just discovered this brilliant thread, well done Cormac. Your resourcefulness is very impressive, good luck with your future career.

Countryboy

Hi CMAN I think by some of the replies a lot of people with a dementia illness won’t be able to use an iphone however there are hundreds if not thousands off other people with dementia that can use an iphone and would possibly benefit from your app I myself have an iphone but I don’t think I would need an app to tell me to lock doors
, go to bed or turn off the lights but I’m sure it could help some people