Alziemers diagnosis

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Hello all

Mum has finally had her diagnosis which is Alzheimer's. I was surprised I suppose as dementia is the only 'name' that has been spoken about.

I don't know if Alziemers is worse than Dementia or the other way around or if they're the same?

I guess we just carry on as before but at least now it's out in the open and can be talked about.

🙂

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Alzheimer's is one form of or reason for what is called dementia, something I find quite an ugly word, just my opinion but saying someone is demented is a term of abuse in my part of the world, however, as I say just my opinion.
People do focus on a specific diagnosis and for medical and medicinal prescriptions it is important but for caring purposes I don't know it matters that much. The everyday reality of dealing with things have so much in common that the specifics of the diagnosis have never seemed so important to me, here on this site.
Here we are more about mutual support and helping each other where we can with advise or just a few kind words to remind you that you matter too, at least to us. K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Daughters concerns, dementia is an umbrella term for over 100 types of dementia of which Alzheimer's is probably the most common.
I would agree that for now you just carry on as before but I would suggest that you get any legal things sorted, for example POA for finance and health and updated wills if necessary, these need to be done as soon as possible while the person has capacity to understand what they are signing.

You could also check to see if your mum would be entitled to Attendance Allowance, if you contact the likes of AgeUK they would be able to advise you. It might also be an idea to contact your local authority adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for yourself.

I have attached a link which you might find useful.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hello all

Mum has finally had her diagnosis which is Alzheimer's. I was surprised I suppose as dementia is the only 'name' that has been spoken about.

I don't know if Alziemers is worse than Dementia or the other way around or if they're the same?

I guess we just carry on as before but at least now it's out in the open and can be talked about.

🙂
💗 Hello x

Dementia is an umbrella term. I think I read somewhere that there are over 400 different types of dementia but Alzheimers accounts for 60-70% of those and is one of the ones we hear about more than others.

RuralTownie

Oct 11, 2021
Sort of carry on as before, but in the knowledge that this is a life-changing diagnosis.

Now is the time to have all sorts of difficult conversations and make plans for the future. You need to be thinking about getting Lasting Power of Attorney, checking her will is up to date, and having discussions about what sort of care she would and wouldn't want.

The link from @SeaSwallow is a very good starting place. This site, plus DementiaUK, have so many useful resources (it can be pretty overwhelming), but it will make things so much easier in the long-term of you get some of these difficult tasks and conversations done sooner rather than later

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Thank you very much.

Do you know if Alziemers shortens a person's life span? Or do we have years ahead of us together? I really don't know what to expect I'm just taking everything in my stride and mum being more and more forgetful each week but doing ok.

RuralTownie

Oct 11, 2021
It can, yes. But really that's a question for the doctor. From my experience as a full time carer for my dad over the last few years, I'd say it definitely shortens the amount of quality living. Sorry, it's such a cruel disease.

It varies so much from person to person, and there's no knowing how quickly or slowly things will progress. There are medicines that can help slow the progression, but not stop or reverse it. Your should hopefully still have years together, but the blunt truth is that dementia is a slow killer, robbing the mind first, then the body.