Alzheimer’s diagnosis

Blurrymoon

Apr 22, 2020
My mother was widowed a couple of years ago and since being on her own has been struggling to find the right word.

Her doctor arranged for her to be visited by a memory nurse who did some tests with her and said she did very well, scoring 89 out of 100. She then went for a brain scan.

At the beginning of the Corona Virus lock down the memory nurse telephoned her and told her the brain scan revealed she had early Dementia and early Alzheimer’s. She was told to inform DVLA and has received a booklet in the post about Dementia and Alzheimer’s. She has not received any letter with a formal diagnosis just been told the next step is a blood test after lock down ends.

I am very worried as she lives alone, she is in the vulnerable shielded group so I can not visit. She is very frightened about the future, she has tried ringing her doctors but can not get through.

I know we are in unprecedented times but I would be so grateful if anyone could let me know what the steps I can take to help my mother for the future.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Blurrymoon , that sounds a worry specially as due to lockdown you can't be there to help. You've come to the right place as you'll find lots of support, advice and fellowship here.
Would it be worth you contacting her GP? He/she won't be able to talk to you directly, unless your mother give's permission, but it sounds worth flagging up she's concerned and has tried to contact them about what is happening.
A couple more ideas, is she registered as a vulnerable person with her council? If so they should be doing things to check she is OK. It may also be worth contacting local social services to make them aware that your mother is in the middle of obtaining a diagnosis.
You'll also find lots of helpful information here and you also might find it useful to contact the Alzheimer's Society direct for further advice.
Dementia Connect support line: 0333 150 345and dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk
In the meantime have a look around, you'll find lots of threads from people with similar concerns and worries.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Blurrymoon and welcome from me too. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I agree that it's a good idea to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Blurrymoon

Apr 22, 2020
Thank you for your advice. I have been in contact with her GP via email, they have spoken to my mother and explained a bit about the future treatment so feel reassured. I will read all the links and thanks again