Advice plz

Tomsamsmum

Apr 17, 2022
Mums swallow is deteriorating, now only able to drink from straw, majority of meds charged to liquid or need crushed, she is holding food and liquids in her mouth and is choking so often now that mentioned to Gp and requested thickeners , I have done this journey with dad who I lost last year Gp has done a SALT referral ( speech and language), 3wks ago , last week I asked if this could be chased , I know that adding thickener will help, ……had letter from SALT team today saying that appt will be made within 18wks? I did try ring but the lines were closed and leave a msg, has anyone purchased their own thickeners and can recommend something?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also because it has Amazon reviews they might be worth a read in case there are any tips to help you?
IMG_3925.png

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Tomsamsmum I would urge caution against buying and using thickener yourself to avoid choking/aspiration. My mum has dysphagia (swallowing problems) and has been seen several times recently by the SALT team. They advised a change to food texture and prescribed thickener, but also provided specific instructions regarding feeding and giving fluids, including the number of spoonfuls of thickener required to obtain the right consistency and also the safest way to give fluids/food. This varies based on their assessment, it is not the same for everyone. It would be best to speak to the SALT team first before making changes yourself to your mum's food/drink, hopefully if you let them know your concerns they will be able to give you some general advice over the phone prior to their assessment.

Tomsamsmum

Apr 17, 2022
Hello @Tomsamsmum I would urge caution against buying and using thickener yourself to avoid choking/aspiration. My mum has dysphagia (swallowing problems) and has been seen several times recently by the SALT team. They advised a change to food texture and prescribed thickener, but also provided specific instructions regarding feeding and giving fluids, including the number of spoonfuls of thickener required to obtain the right consistency and also the safest way to give fluids/food. This varies based on their assessment, it is not the same for everyone. It would be best to speak to the SALT team first before making changes yourself to your mum's food/drink, hopefully if you let them know your concerns they will be able to give you some general advice over the phone prior to their assessment.
Many thanks for your reply I will try them again Monday x