Advice - Opening front door

annamambo1979

May 2, 2023
Hi there
My Mum is about to receive a diagnosis for dementia with Lewy bodies this week. She's been rapidly physically and mentially declining since Christmas.
She's been quite agitated recently and wants to open the front door severall times a day. My Dad has put a lock across the top in case she tries to escape during the day when he's out of the room but does anyone have any advice for either managing the agitation or for securing the front door?
Many thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @annamambo1979 and welcome to Talking Point

I have recently discovered that a friend of mine has found a solution to this problem, although in his case the problem is only at night (he lives with his mum)
His solution is to tape a black plastic bin-liner to the floor right in front of the door, but to cover it up with a rug during the day and only uncovering it for the night. This black area looks like a hole to his mum and she wont go near the door all the while the black bin liner is exposed, but during the day when its covered she does not remember that it is there.

It struck me as ingenious, but I have never heard of anyone else doing this and I dont honestly know how well it would work for other people. Your dad could give it a try, though, and if it doesnt work it is not a vast expense.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @annamambo1979 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point our supportive and friendly community. I am sorry to hear about your Mum. I don't have any experience ofdementia with Lewy Bodies but wonder if her GP might be able to prescribe something for her agitation.

annamambo1979

May 2, 2023
Hello @annamambo1979 and welcome to Talking Point

I have recently discovered that a friend of mine has found a solution to this problem, although in his case the problem is only at night (he lives with his mum)
His solution is to tape a black plastic bin-liner to the floor right in front of the door, but to cover it up with a rug during the day and only uncovering it for the night. This black area looks like a hole to his mum and she wont go near the door all the while the black bin liner is exposed, but during the day when its covered she does not remember that it is there.

It struck me as ingenious, but I have never heard of anyone else doing this and I dont honestly know how well it would work for other people. Your dad could give it a try, though, and if it doesnt work it is not a vast expense.
Thanks for taking the time to post this idea. I appreciate it, totally ingenious

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi there
My Mum is about to receive a diagnosis for dementia with Lewy bodies this week. She's been rapidly physically and mentially declining since Christmas.
She's been quite agitated recently and wants to open the front door severall times a day. My Dad has put a lock across the top in case she tries to escape during the day when he's out of the room but does anyone have any advice for either managing the agitation or for securing the front door?
Many thanks
My husband has LBD and once he was formally diagnosed he was prescribed Rivastigmine patches. These help to control the symptoms but, of course, are not a cure.
The Alzheimers Society has a very good leaflet on LBD, which you can either request or download from their website. There is also good information on the NHS website.
If you have any specific questions that you would like to ask I will do my best to answer them, hubby and I are about five years into this journey.

I thank you for the years

Oct 5, 2021
The emergency response (Lifeline) alarm system that are available via most councils now have add on services such as exit monitors which can raise an alarm when someone opens the door. It might be worth looking into wether such a facility would be helpful in these particular circumstances.

annamambo1979

May 2, 2023
The emergency response (Lifeline) alarm system that are available via most councils now have add on services such as exit monitors which can raise an alarm when someone opens the door. It might be worth looking into wether such a facility would be helpful in these particular circumstances.
Thank you, I think this may be worth looking into. We've just had confirmed diagnosis yesterday of DLB

annamambo1979

May 2, 2023
My husband has LBD and once he was formally diagnosed he was prescribed Rivastigmine patches. These help to control the symptoms but, of course, are not a cure.
The Alzheimers Society has a very good leaflet on LBD, which you can either request or download from their website. There is also good information on the NHS website.
If you have any specific questions that you would like to ask I will do my best to answer them, hubby and I are about five years into this journey.
Thank you and I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through this too. My Mum's consultant has confirmed DLB this week and suggests once her condition starts to stabilise she may be discharged to GP care for 3-4 years. I can't see how my Mum can live with this condition for so long, it seems like she's taken such a sharp nosedive with mobility and cognition. I also don't know how much father will cope for that long.

Rae44

Jul 26, 2022
Thank you and I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through this too. My Mum's consultant has confirmed DLB this week and suggests once her condition starts to stabilise she may be discharged to GP care for 3-4 years. I can't see how my Mum can live with this condition for so long, it seems like she's taken such a sharp nosedive with mobility and cognition. I also don't know how much father will cope for that long.

Rae44

Jul 26, 2022
As every one us so different it's difficult to say how long people will live with the condition. My husband died less than two years after diagnosis. He deteriorated very quickly and was very much aware of what was happening to him. He had no other health issues
Our last few days together were very special. I was fortunate that I managed to keep him at home so he was surrounded by family and friends. He was unable to communicate with us but he was Aware he was surrounded by love. From the youngest grand child to the oldest all helped to look after him. Very special times for us as a family

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I am sorry to hear that the consultant has confirmed the diagnosis of DLB. Everyone is different and although his condition has worsened over time my husband is still relatively healthy. I hope that with the right medication your mum might stabilise.
Regarding your dad, if he has not already done so he should request a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for himself. None of us can manage looking after a loved one with dementia without some help.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
As every one us so different it's difficult to say how long people will live with the condition. My husband died less than two years after diagnosis. He deteriorated very quickly and was very much aware of what was happening to him. He had no other health issues
Our last few days together were very special. I was fortunate that I managed to keep him at home so he was surrounded by family and friends. He was unable to communicate with us but he was Aware he was surrounded by love. From the youngest grand child to the oldest all helped to look after him. Very special times for us as a family
@Rae44 I am so sorry to read about the loss of your husband but so pleased that you were all able to be with him at the time of his passing.

DEBOWMAN

May 14, 2023
Hi there
Many thanks
I installed Blink cameras on my front porch, back porch and backyard so if my hubs makes it outside it dings on my phone. I can see him and even talk to him on the cameras from my phone. Hope this is helpful.